Is this moldy hay

jthor88

In the Brooder
Oct 17, 2023
So I bought a bale of hay for my next box and noticed that the bottom hay looks moldy, but it does smell and have webbing like stuff that I usually see. Is mold? If so is it safe to use the the top part that is still good?

Attachments

• IMG_20231224_085932007_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231224_085932007_HDR.jpg
    783.9 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_20231224_085924576_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20231224_085924576_HDR.jpg
    594.1 KB · Views: 20
It does look a bit moldy - if indeed moldy I would recommend putting it in the run - not in the coop. Because in confined spaces moldy hay can cause respiratory problems in chickens/ducks.
Instead of buying hay I recommend buying straw because it doesn't get moldy like hay does.

I had grey fungus on the grass I mowed a while ago. Well I am pretty sure it was metal powder because I hit a rake and when I mowed and broke it and couldn’t find parts of it. So I believe it was crushed up.

What GirlsHuntToo wrote.:D
There are always variables but in general straw is a better option for bedding than hay. Of course the straw needs to be dry and properly stored but straw tends to harbour fewer parasites and pathogens than hay.
While below is an example of mites in straw, the percentage of such mites is generally higher in hay, particularly hay that has not been properly stored.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/straw-itch-mite.75561/

Straw is the stalk parts of grain. Hay is dried grasses. Looking at your bale in the picture it looks yellow with thicker pieces, so it might be straw. (Weeds in hay could have a similar appearance)
It does look like mold. If it was at the bottom of a stack or not stored properly, mold can get on straw. Allowing rain on it would not be good for any square bale. Personally I would still use the the better parts of the bale where you need it..

Back
Top Bottom