Moldy bag of food (bottom of bag)

jploria116

Chirping
Mar 12, 2023
Just noticed the bottom of my Kalmbach organic feed was clumped together and moldy. I only opened the bag about a week and a half ago. I always roll the top of the bag down to prevent moisture. Top 2/3 of the bag was fine. Chewy is replacing the bag of feed but I’m curious if there are any tips to keeping feed from molding? I keep all my feeds in a sealed plastic deck box next to my coop.

Thanks

Just noticed the bottom of my Kalmbach organic feed was clumped together and moldy. I only opened the bag about a week and a half ago. I always roll the top of the bag down to prevent moisture. Top 2/3 of the bag was fine. Chewy is replacing the bag of feed but I’m curious if there are any tips to keeping feed from molding? I keep all my feeds in a sealed plastic deck box next to my coop.

Thanks
It depends on how it was stored prior to you opening it. I buy from chewy alot and the bags were very fresh and recently dated. I keep my bags in the garage off of the cement floor and then it gets transferred to a metal trash can near the coops. I stopped buying from other local stored because they were always moldy on the bottom. Proper storage is the key

It was most likely the feed. I wouldn't feed it to them. I had similar issue in 2022, switched to a local mill.
At first I pulled the few clumps that fell into their feed bucket but ended having my wife up pull the feed bucket out since I’m at work. I’ll wash it out in the AM when I get home. I have a fresh bag of Kalmbach non gmo flock maker that I wanted to switch them to anyways since they’re about 18 weeks old.

It depends on how it was stored prior to you opening it. I buy from chewy alot and the bags were very fresh and recently dated. I keep my bags in the garage off of the cement floor and then it gets transferred to a metal trash can near the coops. I stopped buying from other local stored because they were always moldy on the bottom. Proper storage is the key
How long are unopened bags usually good for? Like I mentioned in my original post, I keep them stored in a deck box that has a lid with all my other chicken items.

I bought a few bags at once because chewy had a deal But if they spoil fast I’ll avoid doing that in the future.

Do you always check the mill date on each bag? Make sure you do that, and feed within two or three months of the mill date. Then, storage is important. Your deck box is okay, or not? Dampness is so not good!
If it's not a problem with your container, it's about Chewy somewhere, old feed and storage issues.
Mary

How long are unopened bags usually good for? Like I mentioned in my original post, I keep them stored in a deck box that has a lid with all my other chicken items.

I bought a few bags at once because chewy had a deal But if they spoil fast I’ll avoid doing that in the future.
I buy them from chewy on sales also. I keep them in the chewy box and never had a problem. I use 1 50 lb bag every 90 days.

Just noticed the bottom of my Kalmbach organic feed was clumped together and moldy. I only opened the bag about a week and a half ago. I always roll the top of the bag down to prevent moisture. Top 2/3 of the bag was fine. Chewy is replacing the bag of feed but I’m curious if there are any tips to keeping feed from molding? I keep all my feeds in a sealed plastic deck box next to my

I want fresh feed all the time, and would wonder about mill dates on feed being shipped from an outside source, like Chewy. Check those mill dates!
Around here, TSC usually has fresh enough Purina Flock Raiser, and the local feed store that stocks Kalmbach keeps that feed under a roof but outside; bugs, heat, humidity, not good.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom