Is this moltiing?

The pinfeathers started growing before she lost the other feathers. That's why you are seeing them so soon.

She might be molting-- some pullets do that in the fall when the days get short.

If it's right up by her head, she cannot be picking those feathers out herself, because she cannot reach them. But there is a chance the other chickens have been picking the feathers from her.

I would probably watch to see how things go, but not get too concerned at the present time. If she grows new feathers and then keeps those new feathers, she's fine, and you don't have to do anything about it.

If she grows new feathers but then they get picked out too, treat it as a picking problem (possible things to help a picking problem: provide more protein, add more space or remove some chickens, add more things for them to do, add things in the run so they can go around and out of sight of each other, etc.)
No shes got a ton of these pin feathers everywhere even up on her face i didnt even realize she was missing feathers their tell today and shes got new ones under her wings, under her belly, on her tail. But i think shes picking at her tail feathers because ivs caught her doing it before.

No shes got a ton of these pin feathers everywhere even up on her face i didnt even realize she was missing feathers their tell today and shes got new ones under her wings, under her belly, on her tail. But i think shes picking at her tail feathers because ivs caught her doing it before.

If she's got that many pinfeathers all over her body, I think she is molting.

Picking tends to be concentrated in certain areas, different spots depending on whether she is picking her own or whether the other birds are picking feathers from her.

Of course it is possible for a chicken to be molting and picking feathers at the same time, but I would wait until she finishes growing these feathers and then watch whether she loses any of them again.

If she's got that many pinfeathers all over her body, I think she is molting.

Picking tends to be concentrated in certain areas, different spots depending on whether she is picking her own or whether the other birds are picking feathers from her.

Of course it is possible for a chicken to be molting and picking feathers at the same time, but I would wait until she finishes growing these feathers and then watch whether she loses any of them again.
Okay that kinds lines up with what im thinking. Her tail area i believe she is 100 percent picking becaus eive watches her do it on cameras at night and also when shes out with the other girls ive seen her sit their and pick at them. Idk why but they seem to bug her at times. But all these new feathers i think is a mini molt. I just wanted some other pwoples opinions.

Okay that kinds lines up with what im thinking. Her tail area i believe she is 100 percent picking becaus eive watches her do it on cameras at night and also when shes out with the other girls ive seen her sit their and pick at them. Idk why but they seem to bug her at times. But all these new feathers i think is a mini molt. I just wanted some other pwoples opinions.
You might try offering them some more protein-- chick starter or gamebird starter, or scrambled egg, or meat/fish, or something of the sort.

Sometimes feather picking is caused by not enough protein. And a bit of extra protein should not cause any problems, even if that was not the cause of the picking.

You might try offering them some more protein-- chick starter or gamebird starter, or scrambled egg, or meat/fish, or something of the sort.

Sometimes feather picking is caused by not enough protein. And a bit of extra protein should not cause any problems, even if that was not the cause of the picking.
Okay i will forsure do all of that. I have some feather fixer and leftover cick feed so ill.mix thoes up and give them to all the girls and then ill cook up some extra fish i have and chop up.some.extra steak for them.

Back
Top Bottom