Is this molting or an injury?

jmanderson777

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 4, 2011
This is my first winter with chickens. Is this chicken molting or is this an injury? The bald area also stretches about an inch down the side too. She has a little bit of blood on one of her gills? on the left side of her face and she won't open that eye right now. I can't base the molt off of no egg production since she hasn't layed in a couple months. She had a real bad prolapse and hasn't layed since. She was being picked on by the flock when I first returned her but has been accepted since then for a month or so now.

108482_reba.jpg

108482_rebaeye.jpg

okay maybe the eye and the neck are separate issues. I had a hen go missing two nights ago so I was worried something might have gotten a hold of her as well and she escaped.

ear?? who knew. I have always called it a gill. I guess that makes sense since they can hear me call them. I really had no clue what that area of skin was.

Is this molting or injury? They to push themselves against that fence thing a lot... But my other hen is perfectly fine so I'm not too sure. The one in the picture is a buff Orpington and my other hen is a Rhode Island Red. Thanks!!
[/IMG][/IMG]

Back
Top Bottom