Is this molting or an injury?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jmanderson777, Dec 3, 2011.

1. jmanderson777

jmanderson777 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2011
    This is my first winter with chickens. Is this chicken molting or is this an injury? The bald area also stretches about an inch down the side too. She has a little bit of blood on one of her gills? on the left side of her face and she won't open that eye right now. I can't base the molt off of no egg production since she hasn't layed in a couple months. She had a real bad prolapse and hasn't layed since. She was being picked on by the flock when I first returned her but has been accepted since then for a month or so now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. psimons2004

psimons2004 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2011
    Cheyenne
    def. ,molting!!!!!! I wouldn't worry at all!

3. jmanderson777

Oct 4, 2011
    okay maybe the eye and the neck are separate issues. I had a hen go missing two nights ago so I was worried something might have gotten a hold of her as well and she escaped.

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I would guess separate issues. The eye and the ear would worry me. The missing feathers not so much. Maybe her ear area got pecked by another bird??

5. jmanderson777

Oct 4, 2011
    ear?? who knew. I have always called it a gill. I guess that makes sense since they can hear me call them. I really had no clue what that area of skin was.

6. Fluffychickens6

Fluffychickens6 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2014
    Is this molting or injury? They to push themselves against that fence thing a lot... But my other hen is perfectly fine so I'm not too sure. The one in the picture is a buff Orpington and my other hen is a Rhode Island Red. Thanks!! [​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

7. Fluffychickens6

Fluffychickens6 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2014
    [​IMG]

This might be a better picture

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by