Is this Molting or Mites?

Alysharp

In the Brooder
Jul 18, 2020
I am about 10 months into raising chickens for the first time ever. And therefore, my chickens are also 10 months old! I went out today and noticed that all of a sudden, at least 3 of my chickens (one rooster and two hens) have missing feathers on their back (near saddle area). My questions are as follows (and please see photos below)

1. Is this molting? Everything I read says that they shouldn't mold until about 18 months.
2. I am pretty sure it is not mating as the rooster is showing the most missing plumage of them all
3. If it is mites, how would I know? And what's the safest, and most effective way to treat?
4. Why are there absolutely NO feathers to show for this anywhere in their hen house or in their run (They are in an enclosed run due to large hawk population)

Help! I don't see evidence of mite eggs - but I also don't see new feather growth either. I don't know how to help them!

Attachments

• IMG_1483.jpeg
    IMG_1483.jpeg
    855.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1484.jpeg
    IMG_1484.jpeg
    652.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_1485.jpeg
    IMG_1485.jpeg
    617.8 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1486.jpeg
    IMG_1486.jpeg
    567.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1487.jpeg
    IMG_1487.jpeg
    473.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1488.jpeg
    IMG_1488.jpeg
    581.6 KB · Views: 5
It looks to me like someone is feather pecking. Is there anyone WITHOUT their feathers looking like that? That could be the guilty one.
Wouldn’t it be strange for someone to feather peck at my rooster? Or no? I saw one of my ISA reds pecking at his back while I was in there but figured she was either helping with molting or helping with the mites.....

If he's the only rooster in the flock the hens are over-grooming him. If there is another rooster this could be the result of fighting. I have a gentle rooster that the hens pick on. I ended up putting him in the bachelor pen where he eventually grew beautiful plumage. My hens are on a good diet with plenty of protein so I have no idea as to why the over-groomed him. Maybe they were bored. The rooster never corrected the hens so they continued to groom him until he had a bald area on his neck.

He’s the only rooster - but he’s not the only one with the missing feathers- so that would mean I most likely have one bored hen somewhere? Ordering some chicken swings today. They are in a run all day- I don’t feel comfortable letting them free range with the hawks in my woods

Back
Top Bottom