Is this molting?

Chicks Galore3

Artistic Bird Nut
11 Years
Dec 16, 2011
Iowa
So. My 9 month Buff Orpington, Dandelion, has a bald head. This has happened gradually during the past few days, and is happening one of my same-aged Wyandottes and one of my same-aged Gold stars. Is this molting? Dandelion isn't as tame as she usually is, and I think maybe acting a little differently. Tonight, I saw a tiny bright red dot on her skin, about the size of a period(.). AND I saw a darker red same-sized dot. Molting?Bad thing is, I have my infirmary occcupied with a broody that isn't eating so good because she is so broody and I am leaving on a five day trip day after tomorrow and I just feel GAH! Will my chickens be alright?! Thank you so much for dealing with my upset-ed-ness, and helping my chooks!

Usually with molting you will also see pin feathers, which are new feathers in pointy sheaths breaking through the skin, to replace the ones being lost. Do you see pin feathers on your girls? What you describe sounds like one of your chickens is pecking the others, since the feather loss is on the top of the head and is happening to 3 of your hens. Have you observed any of your hens pecking the others? You might also want to check our girls for lice or mites, which can cause feather loss, but from what you describe I suspect pecking damage.

Two are mid-range on the pecking order, one is on the top-range. Also, I've been putting vaseline on my chickens combs/wattles. I get some on the feathers around the comb. Could they be pecking at that? (they love vaseline, although it isn't supposed to be edible. :p) I HAVE seen some pecking around the comb, but it doesn't look really mean, more like preening. What do lice or mites look like?

Here is a link to an article on lice and mites, that will help you know what to look for. http://ohioline.osu.edu/vme-fact/0018.html

When you spend some time with your chickens during the day - do you observe anyone pecking anyone else? I suppose they could be pecking at the vaseline - you can never tell what will attract a chicken's attention. You might want to try not using vaseline for a couple of days see if you can see any improvement.

Do you see any pin feathers on your girls' heads? Here is a picture of pin feathers. http://www.avianaquamiser.com/posts/How_chicken_feathers_grow/

My Wyandottes like to pick on everybody else. I have seen some pecking on the roosts. And I guess leaving for the trip will work out because I won't be here to vaseline them. I guess I'll put Dandelion in the infirmary (which is my secluded area), since she is the worse, and my broody will get to be broody some more.

Back
Top Bottom