Is this molting?

corewassen87

Songster
May 6, 2015
Wisconsin
I just got my chickens and she had some bare spots but its gotten worse in the last few weeks. As of tonite there's new tubes for feathers starting but the redness of her bottom concerned me. Any input is appreciated

Make sure you check for mite,!ice & little creepers. Is it possible you have a 'picker' in the flock? Some of the more dominant hens will pick the feathers off a more submissive female...and just torment them until, at times,they can actually bleed! Sometimes just adding a little extra protein in their diets take care of feather picking. I've had peeps,at one time or another, that had sore-looking red butts...i've used cool washclothes applied to calm the redness + separated out the girls to give them a little alone time with an easy going buddy...to give the feathers a chance to grow in without others picking. Try giving her some hard boiled chopped eggs and perhaps some cooked chicken(I know,it sounds awful)...the protein will help renew those feathers!
1f603.png

Make sure you check for mite,!ice & little creepers. Is it possible you have a 'picker' in the flock? Some of the more dominant hens will pick the feathers off a more submissive female...and just torment them until, at times,they can actually bleed! Sometimes just adding a little extra protein in their diets take care of feather picking. I've had peeps,at one time or another, that had sore-looking red butts...i've used cool washclothes applied to calm the redness + separated out the girls to give them a little alone time with an easy going buddy...to give the feathers a chance to grow in without others picking. Try giving her some hard boiled chopped eggs and perhaps some cooked chicken(I know,it sounds awful)...the protein will help renew those feathers!
1f603.png
. Thanks so much for the advice! I do have one hen who wears the pants but I've never really seen her pick on anyone but my young Roos. I'll keep a closer eye on the situation and try the calcium rich diet to cure the
1f525.png
look on her bum. Gonna be weird feeding a chicken two forms of her own but its worth a try. I hate seeing her like that.

I took one of my chickens and put it in a crate to let it rest from being picked on. It helped to get it stronger. It didn't last long. I think they were figuring out the packing order.
It does look like the chicken is getting picked on. Or a health issues.

. Thanks so much for the advice! I do have one hen who wears the pants but I've never really seen her pick on anyone but my young Roos. I'll keep a closer eye on the situation and try the calcium rich diet to cure the
1f525.png
look on her bum. Gonna be weird feeding a chicken two forms of her own but its worth a try. I hate seeing her like that.
Protein. She needs lots of extra protein to get those feathers grown back quickly.

We have a small dog crate for that. It is at times but once ours got figured out the picking issue stopped. When they are in the crate they get extra food, water and rest which helps. I keep the crate w the other chickens except for in winter. I had to bring a few weak chicks in and fatten them up last winter for a couple nights. The extra crate has some good uses!!

We have a large dog crate just for such situations! Sometimes the poor little creatures just need a break from the bullies! But that stinking pecking order is so hard on the lower ranks!
1f622.png
I think I will seclude her and bulk her up on shredded cheese and diced egg. Hope it helps. I feel like a bad dad!!

We have a small dog crate for that. It is at times but once ours got figured out the picking issue stopped. When they are in the crate they get extra food, water and rest which helps. I keep the crate w the other chickens except for in winter. I had to bring a few weak chicks in and fatten them up last winter for a couple nights. The extra crate has some good uses!!

Back
Top Bottom