Is this much comb on 4w lavender Orp normal?

IvyBeans

Songster
May 22, 2023
Seattle suburbs
I already have one suspected cockerel in my 4 week old sexed pullets (see EE in background). I feel like my 4 week old lavender Orpington’s comb is awfully big, but it could just be because the color doesn’t blend in with her beak as much as the Buff’s does.

Is this amount of comb normal for 4 weeks? Nothing else would make me guess roo.

Attachments

• IMG_3508.jpeg
    IMG_3508.jpeg
    563.3 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_3507.jpeg
    IMG_3507.jpeg
    444.5 KB · Views: 44
Lavender Orpington pullets can have larger or a more prominent comb early. They also can pink up earlier than other breeds. It's a bit young yet to be sure either way.

Your EE chick in the center looks like a male.
Yeah. I’ve accepted that it’s the most likely outcome. It’s been different since I opened the box from the post office. I hoped since it was skittish maybe I was wrong, but with those feathers coming in and wide comb, I’m thinking it’s a he. Always been the very biggest chick, too. Annoyed that I suspected it day one, but the hatchery sent it as a sexed chick. At least it’s the one they sent extra and I still have another EE! It doesn’t always stand like that though, you can see another doing the same in the background, I think it was just getting a better look.

I’m now just really hoping the other 4 are pullets!

Back
Top Bottom