Is this Niacin okay?

Nicotinic acid is what you are looking for, so this should be alright. I used Sundown Naturals 500 mg pills I got from RiteAid.

I crushed them up and sprinkled them on the food. I'd spray the pellets with a mister, then sprinkle on the niacin so it ended up in duck bellies and not the the bottom of the feed tray.

Good luck!

Nicotinic acid is what you are looking for, so this should be alright. I used Sundown Naturals 500 mg pills I got from RiteAid.

I crushed them up and sprinkled them on the food. I'd spray the pellets with a mister, then sprinkle on the niacin so it ended up in duck bellies and not the the bottom of the feed tray.

Good luck!
I need to remember that trick.

Good luck!

I was thinking the nicotinic acid was the right thing - thank you for confirming that!
smile.png
Hmm - I was planning on putting it in the water, but I like your idea and might have to try it! Thanks!

BlackBrookPoultry - yes, I thought of that, too!

Thanks, guys!

I found it didn't dissolve well in the water, settling to the bottom.

In regards to brewers yeast, I used that for the first 4 weeks, but then started seeing signs of niacin deficiency. It is my understanding, from various sources, that you need between 2.5 to 5 pounds of brewers yeast for a 50 pound bag of regular chicken feed. I would guess, as a supplement to a waterfowl feed, you would need about a pound.

Brewers yeast in my area is only available at the health food stores, at a cost of $15 per pound. That's more than a bag of feed! It may be cheaper in other areas of the country *shrug*

Niacin tablet are $9 for 200 tablets (500mg), which I still have half a jar left from.

Animal Lover, Niacin is required by poultry for leg and nerve development. Waterfowl require considerably more niacin in their diet than chickens. http://metzerfarms.blogspot.com/2011/03/are-my-ducklings-leg-problems-due-to.html

It's great that brewer's yeast is available and inexpensive for you. However, please remember that what 'should' be available in one region is not necessarily what 'should' be available in another.

I live in rural upstate Pennsylvania, where Dairy farming is our largest industry. My local feed stores do not sell brewers yeast. They all gave me that blank stare when I asked for livestock grade brewers yeast in bulk. They only have pet grade, mixed with garlic.

Niacin supplements work just as well (better, even, in my experience), so are a valid discussion topic for people who are not able or willing to use brewer's yeast.

I have the problem of finding brewer's yeast here. I believe that I lost all ducklings due to the niacin deficiency (though they are free range). I searched for the supplement and find that the unmilled rice and rice bran is rich in niacin (close to brewer's yeast). My duck refuses to eat unmilled rice and I am mixing the rice bran with the rice.

Rice bran - http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/cereal-grains-and-pasta/5725/2

Brewer's yeast - http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/custom/1323569/2

I think this information will be useful for those, who have problem finding brewer's yeast.

Back
Top Bottom