Is this normal for a Polish?

AzChickMama

Chirping
Jun 8, 2021
Phoenix Arizona
Hello!

We recently got two straight run Polish, they are 6 days old and seem so small compared to our other 6 day old chicks. We have never had Polish chickens and so I'm not sure if they do usually run smaller. My other question is we noticed that on one of them the wing feathers are different and have a curl to them. Sorry the pics are not the best. They are very active lol. Does this give away if they are a pullet or Cockerel? I know it's super early. Could it be that it has a frizzle gene? I just want to make sure it is nothing I need to be concerned about or that I have to do something.

The white one is the one with the wing question if you can't tell.

Also, would anyone be able to tell me what colors these two would be classified as?

Attachments

• 2ED24BCC-9B8C-4DA1-A0F0-561BC21C23F4.png
    2ED24BCC-9B8C-4DA1-A0F0-561BC21C23F4.png
    3 MB · Views: 20
  • 215FC327-1CAD-42B4-89A0-D48FB63ADED2.jpeg
    215FC327-1CAD-42B4-89A0-D48FB63ADED2.jpeg
    314.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 8548A205-5A04-4D1D-84AE-638A770A7CF2.png
    8548A205-5A04-4D1D-84AE-638A770A7CF2.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 5
Polish should be roughly the size of Leghorns. They are a light weight breed, so the chicks will be smaller than the chicks of dual purpose breeds. They can also be slow developers.

The white could be a frizzle, or it could just have wonky wing feathers coming in. It's a little early to be sure, but either way it has no connection to the gender of the chicks. 6 to 8 weeks is a good time to start sexing them.

Polish chicks are smaller than other chicks.
Activity doesn't indicate male or female. But, males tend to be a bit more inquisitive.
The colors might be buff and a white crested black.

@JustBabyMargo
Thanks for the tag!❤️

Polish chicks are smaller than most standard sized chicks. When I got polish chicks along with silkie bantam chicks they all started out as the same size.

The tail feathers don’t mean anything at such a young age.😉

Do you know where you got these chicks from?

Last edited:
Polish should be roughly the size of Leghorns. They are a light weight breed, so the chicks will be smaller than the chicks of dual purpose breeds. They can also be slow developers.

The white could be a frizzle, or it could just have wonky wing feathers coming in. It's a little early to be sure, but either way it has no connection to the gender of the chicks. 6 to 8 weeks is a good time to start sexing them.
Great, thank you! So long as the wings and size are nothing to be concerned with I am good. They are super cute and I assumed it didn't but with searching there are so many different opinions on Google, so thought I would ask the pros in here :)

Thanks for the tag!❤️ Polish chicks are smaller than most standard sized chicks. When I got polish chicks along with silkie bantam chicks they all started out as the same size.

The tail feathers don’t mean anything at such a young age.😉

Do you know where you got these chicks from?
We got them from a local place called The Stock Shop in AZ. I am not sure where they get them from. 🤔. I have several other breeds that we have raised but never Polish. My daughter begged for them and of course now I am searching and trying to learn as much as I can about them. I've just never had one with wings that looked like this and wanted to make sure, it was nothing I needed to be concerned about.

I figured I was pushing my luck this young with sexing 🤣 I can't help myself!

They do remind me of the size of our Old English game bantam when she hatched, last year. They are so petite.

We got them from a local place called The Stock Shop in AZ. I am not sure where they get them from. 🤔. I have several other breeds that we have raised but never Polish. My daughter begged for them and of course now I am searching and trying to learn as much as I can about them. I've just never had one with wings that looked like this and wanted to make sure, it was nothing I needed to be concerned about.

I figured I was pushing my luck this young with sexing 🤣 I can't help myself!

They do remind me of the size of our Old English game bantam when she hatched, last year. They are so petite.
Haha! I know how that feels! Getting some polish before putting the research in!🤣 They are very sweet though! I’ve heard some say they are flighty, but mine aren’t. Hopefully yours stay nice too!😊

Polish are the worst to wait for!🤣

They are so tiny and cute! :love

Great, thank you! So long as the wings and size are nothing to be concerned with I am good. They are super cute and I assumed it didn't but with searching there are so many different opinions on Google, so thought I would ask the pros in here :)
There is such a thing as feather sexing using the wings, but it only works for a few breeds and hybrids. Not for Polish.

Back
Top Bottom