Is this normal hen behavior?

I’m not sure what you mean. What else could it be other than establishing pecking order??
I agree it is about pecking order. I wanted wanted a little more about what that particular interaction said about the pecking order between those two birds. At least at that moment

I can read cattle and dog hierarchy-related behaviors easily but I'm new to chickens. It is actually pretty similar... one says "move out of my way", the other either moves out of the way (strengthening the first one's position higher in the pecking order) or doesn't. If she doesn't, the first either leaves without making her move (strengthening the second one's position of higher in the pecking order) or the first one tries to make the second one move (challenges the second one's claim of being higher in the pecking order).

I didn't notice until Wyorp Rock's explanation, but the EE was (roughly) between the silky and the feeder when the video started. The silky kept going in the same general direction but enough different that he wasn't headed to the feeder. The EE moved after the dust up but to the feeder - not out of the line the silky would take if he was going to the feeder.

Back
Top Bottom