Is this normal, or should i be concerned?

ApricotAndAlex

In the Brooder
Dec 6, 2018
Australia
I put apricot in the bathtub to wash her and treat her mites, and she pooped before i could get the water on. this is what it looked like. is this normal, or do i need a vet? (The brown stuff surrounding it is lice and mite powder)

Attachments

• 71887FDB-B156-4A67-97CD-675FBD3506B5.jpg
    71887FDB-B156-4A67-97CD-675FBD3506B5.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 25
It is hard to comment because the picture isn't close enough to make out much detail. Has she had access to green vegetation.... it looks green and fibrous to me like wilted spinach from what I can see. Is that a reasonable description?
Does she have any other symptoms? Have you seen her eat proper food recently?
How old is she? A photo of her might help too.
Do you mean mites or lice or both and if mites, what type? Have you seen them on her or is this a preventative treatment?
Sorry, more questions than answers but much more info needed to assess the situation.

Okay, answers to all questions-

@micstrachan

I can't really feel her muscle , and she is very skinny. She is my only chicken as i found her abandoned.

@rebrascora

She eats chicken feed, the occasional bug that we find in the grass, and the odd vegetable, here and there. She's an easter egger, and i have some pics on my profile. She has small, orange lice, and scaly leg mites, both of which are being treated with a special powder. I see the lice on her feathers occasionally, but there aren't many.

The powder will probably not treat the scaley leg mites and may make her legs drier and more irritated. Use a thick grease on legs to smother the mites..... Vaseline or Crisco or solid coconut oil and lash it on thick. It will soften the scales and make them more comfortable as well as killing the mites. What is the active ingredient in the powder? Some are just Diatomaceous Earth and probably labelled as all natural but may not be effective. Ideally you want a product with Permethrin in it. Unfortunately lice can be an indication that a bird is sick and not properly looking after herself. The poop and her skinny condition (I have now read through your other posts about her) would also suggest that.
I would check her crop function to start with..... When she goes to roost at night, feel her crop (the pouch on the right side of her chest where she stores food). It should be full and possibly feel a bit like a bean bag. Remove the feeder from her pen and fasten her in the coop and check her crop again first thing in the morning. Her crop should be flat and empty. If it is not then she has a problem. It may be her crop itself or further down her digestive tract. If it is empty, that is great and we can look at other possible issues. It may just be that she has been living rough and struggling to find food and eating mostly vegetation until you found her and her system is clogged with that vegetation. That would cause her to be skinny.

Back
Top Bottom