Is this normal or weird.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pj931, Sep 25, 2014.

1. pj931

pj931 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2014
    I have some 8-week-old chickens. One of them has started to drop down in a random place and use one foot to hit everything around her as if she's trying to stand. When she sits one foot is under her but the one hitting all the wood shavings around peeks out awkwardly. She seems to walk fine. Any ideas of what this is? Thanks in advance!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Is she dust bathing?

1 person likes this.
  3. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    [​IMG] I think your little ones are beginning to start the sun-bathing routine!! When I first saw mine doing it I thought they were having spastic attacks!! Scared the heck out of me! Sometimes they will lay on their side, stretch one leg out straight and spread one wing out...looks like they're dying!! Not to worry, heck, just wait til they're full-grown and sun-bathing...I love to watch them!!

1 person likes this.
  4. Celizwalsh

Celizwalsh Chillin' With My Peeps

It sounds like they are dust bathing. It does look kinda weird if your not used to seeing it ... heck it looks kinda weird even if you are used to it LOL. I had a mini heart attack the other day when I went outside and saw one of my young hens all sprawled out in the dirt. I thought she was dead but upon closer examination she was just dust/sun bathing [​IMG].

1 person likes this.
  5. chickincrazy

chickincrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2014
    The middle of nowhere
    Perfectly normal! She's dust bathing. All chickens do this, don't worry!

1 person likes this.
  6. pj931

pj931 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2014
    Thanks everyone. I was pretty worried.

7. CasadasHens

CasadasHens Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2013
    I had a fright with one of my 2 week old chicks, it looked like she had been dustbathing but couldn't get up. On closer examination, she had got her neck stuck under a twig.......a quick release and all was well!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by