Is this normal or weird.

pj931

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 30, 2014
I have some 8-week-old chickens. One of them has started to drop down in a random place and use one foot to hit everything around her as if she's trying to stand. When she sits one foot is under her but the one hitting all the wood shavings around peeks out awkwardly. She seems to walk fine. Any ideas of what this is? Thanks in advance!

I have some 8-week-old chickens. One of them has started to drop down in a random place and use one foot to hit everything around her as if she's trying to stand. When she sits one foot is under her but the one hitting all the wood shavings around peeks out awkwardly. She seems to walk fine. Any ideas of what this is? Thanks in advance!
gig.gif
I think your little ones are beginning to start the sun-bathing routine!! When I first saw mine doing it I thought they were having spastic attacks!! Scared the heck out of me! Sometimes they will lay on their side, stretch one leg out straight and spread one wing out...looks like they're dying!! Not to worry, heck, just wait til they're full-grown and sun-bathing...I love to watch them!!

It sounds like they are dust bathing. It does look kinda weird if your not used to seeing it ... heck it looks kinda weird even if you are used to it LOL. I had a mini heart attack the other day when I went outside and saw one of my young hens all sprawled out in the dirt. I thought she was dead but upon closer examination she was just dust/sun bathing
gig.gif

I had a fright with one of my 2 week old chicks, it looked like she had been dustbathing but couldn't get up. On closer examination, she had got her neck stuck under a twig.......a quick release and all was well!

Back
Top Bottom