Is this normal/part of molting?

Andy Ro

Hatching
May 18, 2020
We adopted a chicken last spring so I’m a newbie. We got two pullets for her to have a small flock but one was accidentally killed when the neighbors fogged for mosquitos. The other one was found dead on a 105 degree day (I figured it was a heat stroke).

So we are back to one chicken and I’m worried about her. She must be molting because there are feathers everywhere. She stopped laying in the heat of summer which sounds common for faverolles. Then she started laying again for a week then stopped.

Now she hangs out in the coop all day unless I take her out. I thought this might be normal during molting but then I saw some scabs on her comb.

Is she sick? Do I need to get her some help/medicine?

Attachments

azygous

Crossing the Road
Dec 11, 2009
Colorado Rockies
Your neighbors weren't the only ones plagued by the mosquitoes. So was your hen. The bumps are very likely fowl pox caused by mosquitoes. It is not related to molting.

Andy Ro

Hatching
May 18, 2020
Thank you. From doing a little Googling it does not sound like there is much treatment wise I can do for her. We'll make sure she has lots of fresh water, yummy food and cross our fingers that she will make it through this.

Would it be reasonable to expect that if she recovers she will return to feeling healthy and hopefully laying again?

Top Bottom