IS THIS NORMAL? Please look at this thread!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickens 4 ever, Sep 27, 2012.

1. My hen Brownie has been acting sort of strange this morning. She is almost 4 months now. She has a sister, her age.
    And so here's the problem. She isn't eating or drinking and she keeps BOCKING really loud every once in awhile. Is there something wrong? Is this normal? Is she about to start laying or something?

2. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Since shes' a RIR (from your sig), and they mature pretty quickly, she could be getting ready to lay an egg :)

3. Vickilynn45

Vickilynn45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2012
    My RIR was one of the first to lay at four months. Several of my chickens acted strangely right before they started to lay. They became a bit agitated, and very loud. Like they didnt understand what was happening to their body and it was stressful to them. This would go on for a few days after their first egg too, actually maybe it lasted about a week after their first egg. Once they got the hang of it, it stopped. So hopefully that is what is wrong with yours.

4. Oh ok. Thanks! Is there anything I need to do? or do I just let her do her thing? I think she is ready to lay too! Because her and Mocha, my other hen, roost a lot! Is that part of it?

5. Vickilynn45

Apr 16, 2012
    Mine free-range in my backyard all day, so I didn't notice them roosting except at night. When they seemed especially stressed I would go out and talk softly to them, and it seemed to calm them down. But sometimes nothing helped and they just had to go through with it. I'm sure my neighbors were worried it would continue- it became very loud around our place!

6. Vickilynn45

Apr 16, 2012
    Oh, and the ones that instinctively knew to lay in the nest boxes started practicing ahead of time. Sometimes they would lay in them for almost an hour. I have one that still lays in my garden in a little nest she made. Not sure how that is going to play out this winter lol.

7. Hahah! Thats cute :) I will try and talk to her if she gets stressed. Anything I can give her for the pain?

8. DianaMallory

DianaMallory Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2012
    Lancaster Ohio
    I don't if there is anything for the pain but you should go to the learning center page and read on chickens being egg bound!

9. Oh ok!

10. Peggy-Sue

Peggy-Sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2012
    Pittsburgh
    My Welsummer is doing the same thing. She stays away from our 4 other hens and does her own thing and keeps bocking and bocking. What does that usually mean?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by