Is this normal? Possible Psycho Duckling on hand...

SailorV

In the Brooder
Mar 20, 2021
I have a couple of eggs I've been incubating and last Wednesday night the first one (Cayuga/Khaki Campbell mixes) hatched. He was out of the shell almost a full day earlier than the other. Once the second came out, about 12 hours later the first started getting really restless. He was prodding at the incubator wall, and then I noticed he was stretching up on his legs, plucking at wires hanging from the incubator display. He also THREW himself upwards and started pecking on the clear plastic and just seemed really eager to GTFO. So I got the brooder ready and plopped both inside. The second was basically a blob, similar to the 3 other babies that hatched a couple weeks ago, but that first one - MAN! He was doing zoomies, jumping on TOP of the chick warmer I placed inside, and basically jumped into my hands, on to the bed, and zoomed around, climbed everything... I'm just like, holy crap, you're only a day old, haven't even drank water or ate food and you're super duck? He pecks at everything - his brother, the walls of the brooder, my face... like, just an angry hyper extremely strong duckling. None of the others have been like this.

Has anyone else experienced something like this little dude before??

Well, the good side is you won't have to band him to know who he is... I say "he" because this is how all three of my human boys were their whole childhood! They never slept and did things that drove me batty. Once hubby were in family room. Boys were supposed to be in bed, but we here something going on. We crept upstairs to catch them with the bunk bed ladder hanging out over halfway out the window, and the youngest out the window on the ladder, 20 ft up in the air, with two 5-6 year olds holding the ladder.... I can only say that "natural selection" may weed out this duckling if he doesn't calm down LOL We joke that the only reason our boys made it to maturity is because I was home full time and homeschooled them, so they were never out of my sight ROTFLOL

Back
Top Bottom