Is this normal? Question about a broody

CherishHolland

Songster
6 Years
Apr 16, 2013
Canyon Texas
I have a 9 month old Australorp who went broody a week ago,it snowed and I didn't get out in time to collect the eggs;so she took the opportunity to set on them. Well we were not planning on any more chicks until Feb. but since she was already on them I let her stay on them. We moved her to a make due nursery inside a large dog crate,we keep water and food fresh and near for her. My question is she only gets off the eggs every couple of days and that is because I make her if I didn't she wouldn't eat. She does drink just stretches her head to the waterer without getting up but I worry about her since she won't get off of the eggs on her own. Any suggestions or should I just keep pulling her off once a day like I have been? She is still young and I have my worries already have the bator set up and running just incase she gives up,we did slip a few serama eggs under her 2 days after her going broody. Am I being a worry wart over nothing? Sorry my first broody gal and I am fretting over her probably too much but I am worried. Thanks in advance :)

They do get off once a day to eat, drink, and poo. Most of the time they wait until everyone is gone and quiet. I think this is their way of making sure their eggs are as safe as they can be while they are off the nest. She should be fine but keep an eye on her. Her comb will be a little pale by the end, it's just a broody thing. Change her feed to chick feed for the higher protein as she no longer needs the layer. The chick feed will also keep her going longer on less feed. I put high protein things like meat near her feed when I know she is about to eat. I noticed the last 2 days on mine she was off the nest longer letting the eggs cool quite a bit each time. Don't worry about it, all of mine hatched great. If she goes poo in the nest then clean it out and place her near the food for a minute. It means she didn't get off. Trust the broody, they know what they are doing.

They do get off once a day to eat, drink, and poo. Most of the time they wait until everyone is gone and quiet. I think this is their way of making sure their eggs are as safe as they can be while they are off the nest. She should be fine but keep an eye on her. Her comb will be a little pale by the end, it's just a broody thing. Change her feed to chick feed for the higher protein as she no longer needs the layer. The chick feed will also keep her going longer on less feed. I put high protein things like meat near her feed when I know she is about to eat. I noticed the last 2 days on mine she was off the nest longer letting the eggs cool quite a bit each time. Don't worry about it, all of mine hatched great. If she goes poo in the nest then clean it out and place her near the food for a minute. It means she didn't get off. Trust the broody, they know what they are doing.

Exactly. They do not need to get off the nest more than this, as they are conserving their energy for brooding. Plus, they aren't doing much, so their food/water intake doesn't need to be much.

Thank You! I did switch her over to chick starter after we found out she was broody, and she has been good about not pooing in the nest but she did take all the bedding out of the nest but I am trusting her even though she is young.

Mine was 9 months old, laid 4 eggs, then went broody. My first 4 eggs ever were hatched along with 3 eggs from another chicken (slightly staggered hatch). It has been 9 weeks since hatch and she is still with the chicks. She moved about half of the bedding out then tried to cover herself with it. After she went back into the coop with the chicks I had to keep up on removing the eggs because she tried to steal some more. I free range and have one girl that lays under the coop instead of in the nesting boxes like the rest. You should have seen my broody raising her chicks while trying to drag an egg under her around the yard. If your girl tosses a egg out of the nest, candle it. It is most likely bad. I don't know how they know, they just do.

Oh that is how Miss Cleo was she poked holes in 3 eggs trying to get them under her because she was stealing them,one reason why we brought her inside also the other gals were beating her up and plucking her head because she was in their favorite nesting box
idunno.gif
even though they have 10.

I don't know why we give them so many nesting boxes, they only ever lay in one or 2. I have 14 hens, you would think 7 nesting boxes would be about right. Instead of laying in the others (all exactly the same in every way including height), I get girls pacing back and forth waiting for their favorite while 3 others are on top of each other laying their eggs.

I don't know why we give them so many nesting boxes, they only ever lay in one or 2. I have 14 hens, you would think 7 nesting boxes would be about right. Instead of laying in the others (all exactly the same in every way including height), I get girls pacing back and forth waiting for their favorite while 3 others are on top of each other laying their eggs.
gig.gif
Crazy ladies

Back
Top Bottom