Is this normal turkey behavior?

Devils Flower

Songster
Mar 20, 2021
Area 51
I have 15 chickens(hens) and 2 rooster. I also have 10 ducks. I added 6 turkeys to my flock 2.5 months ago. Everyone has there own sleeping quarters. Sleeping quarters and all sources of water and feed are in a fence in area 50x50. I call this area the safe zone. Every morning they are let out of their sleeping quarters 8:45am and put to bed at 8:30pm. They are free ranged through out the day and and can come in and out of the safe zone anytime through the day.
My question is this. My turkeys act like they are starving. Every time I bring out a snack they are Ravens. I use a dear feeder to feed everyone. It goes off 3 times a day and lasts for 12 sec each rotation. My turkeys get feed at bed time a small bowl of feed in there sleeping quarters every night and they seem to be so hungry. Are they getting enough to eat? Or is this normal behavior??

Last edited:
I have 15 chickens(hens) and 2 rooster. I also have 10 ducks. I added 6 turkeys to my flock 2.5 months ago. Everyone has there own sleeping quarters. Sleeping quarters and all sources of water and feed are in a fence in area 50x50. I call this area the safe zone. Every morning they are let out of their sleeping quarters 8:45am and put to bed at 8:30pm. They are free ranged through out the day and and can come in and out of the safe zone anytime through the day.
My question is this. My turkeys act like they are starving. Every time I bring out a snack they are Ravens. I use a dear feeder to feed everyone. It goes off 3 times a day and lasts for 12 sec each rotation. My turkeys get feed at bed time a small bowl of feed in there sleeping quarters every night and they seem to be so hungry. Are they getting enough to eat? Or is this normal behavior??
They may very well not be getting enough food. My experience is that when food is not always available, they will try to stuff themselves when it is available.

All of my poultry have access to food and water all day long. They eat what they want when they want but if say a tom gets put out in the free range area without access to the coop where the food is, he acts like he is starving even though there is an overabundance of forage food available to him while free ranging..

They may very well not be getting enough food. My experience is that when food is not always available, they will try to stuff themselves when it is available.

All of my poultry have access to food and water all day long. They eat what they want when they want but if say a tom gets put out in the free range area without access to the coop where the food is, he acts like he is starving even though there is an overabundance of forage food available to him while free How

All of my poultry have access to food and water all day long. They eat what they want when they want but if say a tom gets put out in the free range area without access to the coop where the food is, he acts like he is starving even though there is an overabundance of forage food available to him while free ranging..
Thanks.
I guess I will just have to up the time of the rotation. I'm not home every day to keep food out 24/7. My job keeps me away from home and I can't fine exactly how much feed per second a deer feeder drops feed. I did find out how much feed a turkey will consume in a day. That's a start.

are your turkeys broad-breasted bronze? i found that some breeds ("varieties") never stop eating, while others only eat small amounts.
No they are just Bronze. Got them at Orschelons feed store. The sticker just said Bronze.
I think mine are the never stop eating type 😊.. They are always grazing... Good thing they have all this land.

No they are just Bronze. Got them at Orschelons feed store. The sticker just said Bronze.
I think mine are the never stop eating type 😊.. They are always grazing... Good thing they have all this land.
Well your turkeys are growing babies, so maybe they need more food. I have one adult bronze who eats less than the chickens. I give him one small cup per day and he doesn't even finish it. I guess he is just eating grass.

Oh. If you got them from Orschelns then they are probably broad breasted :( From my experience, feed stores generally only sell broad breasted in store. It looks like on their site it says they have "bronze" and "white" only, which are the 2 broad breasted varieties, and have no other popular heritage colors listed. Unless I'm wrong, I've noticed that's how tractor supply and atwoods also marks their turkey chicks.

Not saying it's bad of course, but definitely keep an eye on their food intake. I've heard they're incredibly sweet and easy to fall for.

Last edited:
Oh. If you got them from Orschelns then they are probably broad breasted :( From my experience, feed stores generally only sell broad breasted in store. It looks like on their site it says they have "bronze" and "white" only, which are the 2 broad breasted varieties, and have no other popular heritage colors listed. Unless I'm wrong, I've noticed that's how tractor supply and atwoods also marks their turkey chicks.

Not saying it's bad of course, but definitely keep an eye on their food intake. I've heard they're incredibly sweet and easy to fall for.
Thank you so much for telling me all this. That's very nice of you. Wow I have to do research now and I thought I was done with that.

Yes, can confirm that Orscheln only sells BBB and BBW poults; you can order other varieties. I have some BBB's that are a little over 2 months old and have access to food and water 24/7. They don't act like they're starving until they're out in the back pasture and one sees a grasshopper then they act like they've never been fed.

I also have some Red Bourbon poults the same age- they prefer free ranging and have just about destroyed a half acre of vetch and alfalfa.

Yes, can confirm that Orscheln only sells BBB and BBW poults; you can order other varieties. I have some BBB's that are a little over 2 months old and have access to food and water 24/7. They don't act like they're starving until they're out in the back pasture and one sees a grasshopper then they act like they've never been fed.

I also have some Red Bourbon poults the same age- they prefer free ranging and have just about destroyed a half acre of vetch and alfalfa.
Thank you too.
Well no matter what they are they will be happy and loved till death.
Do you have your BBBs for pets or food?
My turkeys are 2.5 months old. 😁

Back
Top Bottom