Is this Normal?

HighNDryFarm

Songster
10 Years
Feb 2, 2011
Paradise, CA
Out of an impossible hatch, I got 14 chicks. I lost one, all of the sudden and for no apparent reason at about three days. Since they are now from 7 to 9 days old and everyone has been thriving, none of them off to themselves or acting oddly I was surprised when I heard one chirping loudly and found a chick standing on her. I picked her up and she seemed over heated (even though the brooder is large and has lots of room for them to find a comfortable spot), she seemed to perk up a bit after I held her for awhile. I kept her separate from the group but as the day went on she started to get weaker. I gave her some electrolytes (after searching frantically for the correct dosage) but she didn't get much and she was pretty lethargic by then and she just died.

So my question is, is this normal to lose them at this stage and one that thrived so well? I understand that some just don't make it but I guess I thought I was at the safe point. She was a beautiful Ameraucana.

Should I put electrolytes in the rest of the birds water? Is that just for stress? Because these guys have a pretty good little life here in my living room! But I don't want to lose another one.
hit.gif

Many of us who hatch constantly have experienced this. There's just sometimes something not right internally and when the yolk runs out, the chick's system isn't working in a way that allows it to go on...at least that's my best guess. It is sad.

I've only had mine for less than a week. And 4 out of my 5 died! That's even after taking advice from everyone, and the last 2 seeming to do better yesterday. I'm down to one, who I think is going to get lonely.
sad.png

So sorry for those of you who have also lost them. I've raised chicks from the feed store and never lost any but I guess hatching them out has less odds?????

fl.gif
we all don't lose anymore!
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom