Is this normal?

I noticed her acting like this yesterday. And this is the problem. Do I just give her vitamins and hope she gets better or do I give Corrid?

As for isolating her with sunshine, I don't really have a place for that. I brooded the chicks in the basement and she could go back there with the ecoglow but I'm afraid she would get really lonely. I've been giving them mealworms usually every other day as treats.

I noticed her acting like this yesterday.  And this is the problem.  Do I just give her vitamins and hope she gets better or do I give Corrid?  

As for isolating her with sunshine, I don't really have a place for that.  I brooded the chicks in the basement and she could go back there with the ecoglow but I'm afraid she would get really lonely. I've been giving them mealworms usually every other day as treats.

I noticed her acting like this yesterday.  And this is the problem.  Do I just give her vitamins and hope she gets better or do I give Corrid?  

As for isolating her with sunshine, I don't really have a place for that.  I brooded the chicks in the basement and she could go back there with the ecoglow but I'm afraid she would get really lonely. I've been giving them mealworms usually every other day as treats.

OK, this has just started.....it can be a tough call when you are helping over cyberspace..if it were my girl/ same situation I would: Isolate, keep warm, feed extra goodies, give lots of TLC, watch a movie together, and wait.....see how she is in the morning. If there IS an improvement OR she is the same keep up with the same ritual for 24 hours, IF there is any slide downhill, then I would interviene with possible medications. I try not to medicate w/ antibiotics unless it is obvious there is an infection of some sort, and right at this moment I FEEL there is not that. Can you keep her in your bedroom over night? Give her a stuffed animal or feather duster, mirror, to help ease the isolation. I am subscribing to you thread. LOL

You need to do what you feel is best for you and your chick. I would medicate, others wouldn't. I will just relate this story to you. My daughter purchased 25 chicks from Ideal. She put them in with an older chick. She then gave me 7 of them for my birthday. I gave her daughter 2 serama chicks for her birthday and I kept one of the serama for my 7 year old. They all started acting like your girl. I didn't like the change and immediately put them on corrid. She decided to wait...all of hers, including the older chick, died...all mine are still happy, healthy and running around in my yard. All but one turned out to be roos :( but, they are the only survivors out of 28 chicks.

The pretty guy that's my avatar is one of the survivors!!!

Last edited:
Here's the thing: IF it is coccidiosis, you don't have much time to act. Once they get really sick with it they die quickly. This may not be coccidiosis but if it is and you wait until you see even more decline it may be to late. Once chickens start actually showing that they don't feel well they are already pretty sick. They hide their illness very well and for as long as they can. If she has been eating her regular feed then I seriously doubt this is something that vitamins alone is going to solve.

It certainly won't do any harm to medicate with Corid. It's not an antibiotic, all it is is Amprolium which is a thiamin blocker. This creates an unfavorable environment for coccidia to overgrow. Once it get's to far along they sustain to much damage to the intestine and it becomes to late to treat.

My feed store carries the 20% soluble powder, dose for that is 1/2 teaspoon per gallon of water for 5 to 7 days. I'm not sure what the dose is for the 9% liquid.

Well I think I'm going to treat for coccidiosis, I just feel more comfortable with that than a wait and see approach.

Last edited:
I put the first dose in the water just now. I read I should give them fresh re-dosed water every day for five days? How long before I see an improvement?

So I went and checked and now a few hours after giving them the water with Corid in it she is already looking so much better!

One of my chicks did that before they died. I saved one by putting it under a lamp in the house, don't make it too hot.

Back
Top Bottom