Is this normal?

PetesMom

Songster
7 Years
Mar 28, 2012
Columbia County, NY
I cleaned the ducks pool out today and of course Ellie our one muscovy girl got in first......then "Eliza" got in. Eliza then proceeded to get ontop of Ellie and "mate" with her....is this some sort of dominate behaviour or something else? She did it for about 2-3 minutes

I know it's the obvious question but are you sure Eliza is not a drake? I don't know enough about ducks behavior to really help so maybe bumping this a bit will help someone with knowledge chime in. :)

This is very normal behavior my girls do this to each other. and I have 2 drakes and a gander. Some say dominance I really don't know.
Thank you Miss Lydia! I've never seen them do this before and was quite baffled by it lol I guess it's like dog's mounting each other....and our two male wethers do it to each other too so I guess it makes sense?

Yep, very normal.

One day, my 4 welsh harlequins were out and about doing their ducky things (i have a male and 3 females) So they get the cows water, and all 4 are bobing there heads, and my drake was JUST about to mount a hen, when another hen PUSHED him out of the way and began to mount that hen. I'm like "really? Hen on hen?... whatever" And the drake was like "I thought that was my job man?"
lau.gif

Yep, very normal.

One day, my 4 welsh harlequins were out and about doing their ducky things (i have a male and 3 females) So they get the cows water, and all 4 are bobing there heads, and my drake was JUST about to mount a hen, when another hen PUSHED him out of the way and began to mount that hen. I'm like "really? Hen on hen?... whatever" And the drake was like "I thought that was my job man?"
lau.gif

lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom