Is this NORMAL???

nipper75

Songster
9 Years
Mar 5, 2011
NorthEast PA
After free-ranging for a few hours, how should a crop feel on a hen? Checked some of my girls out yesterday and my Dominique, Flo, had a crop that was neither hard or felt full... Is this normal?

idunno.gif

depending on how much they eat yes its perfectly normal. sometimes when my birds are on pasture some birds crops are full some are not
it just depends. hope this helps ease your mind. best wishes to you! they sound completely normal to me. :)

depending on how much they eat yes its perfectly normal. sometimes when my birds are on pasture some birds crops are full some are not
it just depends. hope this helps ease your mind. best wishes to you! they sound completely normal to me.
smile.png

ahhh thank you realsis... I'm a nervous wreck over my birds. I just lost one of my beloved EE, Annie, to what I think was sour crop... and the more I read and search, I think I lost my over all favorite, Fern, to a major crop impaction... I've been having nightmares over losing my birds. I feel so helpless.....

th.gif

Don't feel helpless! You can do it! Chickens are pretty easy to care for, they just need a little TLC. If you suspect sour croop you can do a couple of things. I do these for my chickens and they love it. 1- give them a mixture of plain yogurt & feed dust in a bowl (the dust left over from the feed bag). That one is hilarious to watch. 2- Feed them small amounts of warm olive oil from a dropper. Restrict the amount of dry grain you give them. Make sure they are getting plenty of water! The last suggestion I could give is, give their croop a good massage after they eat. Good luck!

don't feel helpless you have a big support system of a lot of people who care about you here! if you ever need to talk or just need someone to listen just pm me. I'll be here for you. I know how you feel. I see so many emergency written here I've become almost paranoid over my birds wondering and worrying. I have a very small flock of four and I pray everyday for there health! I love them so much its amazing how much! one was sneezing the other day no other symptoms but sneezing none the less it terrified me! all we can do is our best and pray for Heath. I'm sure your birds will do just fine. remember if you need a friend I'm here OK :) :)

Thanks for making me feel better. I feel awful that I was unable to help my 2 birds that died. Still so sad and miss them since each and every bird gas his/ her own personality. What would be the " first" signs of something like this? I didn't catch on with these 2 until it was too late.

I would guess to say first signs of illness would be drop in feeding; ruffled feathers; droopy head; respiratory signs; sneezing coughing mucus; lethargy; separation from the flock. out of the normal behavior. things like that. hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom