1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by revmichael, Feb 17, 2014.

1. revmichael

revmichael Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2013
    I went to check on the girls this morning - they are 24 weeks old Barred Rocks and I saw this

[​IMG]
    Can this happen sometimes with them being so young? Do I need to add more calcium to their diet? Thought their laying feed would have plenty for them.

They are all eating and drinking - I sit there for awhile when I bring out their feed and they all go to town and eat like crazy - they all eat the weeds and grass clippings I put in for them and the same with some bugs - they all get some.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, it looks to be a soft shelled egg yolk. You can get all sorts of strange eggs when their bodies are gearing up for laying.

3. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    You might want to add some oyster shell to their diet. Just set some aside and they. Will eat it as needed. Sometimes young pullets body is gearing up for laying and they will have eggs like this as they ready themselves to lay. But oyster shell certainly won't hurt. It will add the extra calcium needed to give nice hard shells. Most folks including myself give oyster shell supplement along with their feed. Hope this helps. Best wishes

4. revmichael

revmichael Out Of The Brooder

Sep 3, 2013
    just went out and bought some and I put it in a container for them and put it in their run - boy are they chowing down on it - guess they know what they needed :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by