Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by WhitsChicks, Nov 29, 2014.

1. WhitsChicks

WhitsChicks New Egg

Apr 7, 2014
    I have 15 chickens, and a big feeder that's always full of food, they get to free range 90% of the time from sunrise to sunset.
    My question, is it normal that every time I walk outside they come running like they're starving and expecting a feast?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Yes - entirely normal - especially if you have conditioned them to think that (unintentionally or not)

3. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    They are most likely not hungry...just want some treats or something :)

Just to be safe, after they go and roost at night, go in and feel their crops. they should feel full. If they are full, they are getting enough. Good luck :)

Oh, and mine are always full at the end of the day, and they still come running at me like mad men. :)

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    My teenage boys can eat a full meal, but then I walk in the door with grocery bags and they're starving.....kinda the same thing [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. jtn42248

jtn42248 Overrun With Chickens

Perfectly normal. I like to think it is because they love me and missed me. But, the truth is that they think I may have some treat or something they think they just can't live without.

2 people like this.
  6. WhitsChicks

WhitsChicks New Egg

Apr 7, 2014
    Thanks for all the input and assurance. Never thought about feeling the crop to make sure it's full, but I'll start doing that from here on out.

7. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    Your welcome :) you don't need to do it all the time, mostly if you think there is a problem, like if maybe they are keeping one away from the food or something.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by