Is this OCULAR Mareks? Or what is it??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by rockin*cat, Jan 11, 2011.

1. rockin*cat

rockin*cat New Egg

Dec 28, 2010
    San Francisco
    I've looked around on some older posts but can't confirm what I have going on here.

I have three pullets about 21 weeks old. The barred rock i noticed a week ago was rubbing/scratching it's head.
    But other than that everything seemed normal.
    It seems over night that the left side eye has gone completely white and her head is swollen,twice the size of the other side
    I didn't notice anything yesterday when i went out to check them.
    She is definetly on the bottom of the pecking order. Maybe shes been picked on to much.
    Other than that she's eating, drinking and pooping normally.
    Ive seperated her from the rest in the coop.
    The other two seem fine, eating drinking running around ect.
    I got them all from the same lady that said they were vaccinated for Mareks. maybe it didn't take on her or she wasn't vaccinated at all.

I cant afford to go to a vet. and would like to treat her myself, if possible.
    I would be thankful for any held or advice!

Going to post a couple pics too!

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Hi, it's most likely not Marek's. She probably injured it. I have 2 like that. I had a silkie roo that got that but he had alot of other symptoms, generally, paralysis, and was thought to have some strange latent Marek's.

3. rockin*cat

rockin*cat New Egg

Dec 28, 2010
    San Francisco
    The normal pic is from a week ago the others are from today.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Sorry the pics are so big.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  4. rockin*cat

rockin*cat New Egg

Dec 28, 2010
    San Francisco
    If it is injured should it put some sort of salve or ointment on it??

5. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    It looks like she has an infection...I would give her at least 3 days worth of Tylan 50 (.25cc per lb. of chicken). That should clear it up.

6. rockin*cat

rockin*cat New Egg

Dec 28, 2010
    San Francisco
    Ok. Going to find some Tylan 50.

But does she need to be separated from the others?

7. BlackBrookPoultry

BlackBrookPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Western Wisconsin
    I would seperate her, they will continue picking on her and maybe make it worse.

8. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    She may also have a blocked or clogged sinus, so instead of draining it's backing up and making her head look swollen.

9. Zoey

Zoey Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2009
    Big Island, Hawaii
    I agree also, eye infection, or aggrivated sinus infection... Tylan injectable is what I'd do also...

I'd go for 1 shot a day for 7 days... 1/2 cc for a 6 to 7 pound chicken ... Others could confirm the dosage ...

Also be sure the coop droppings arent building up, causing ammonia burn, this can blind them also... if you bend your head down to chicken level, and get strong ammonia smell, and it is uncomfortable to you, the problemis there

10. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    Marek's infiltrates the iris- so the cornea is clear, but the iris looks greyish and thickened. Your bird looks like it has had either trauma to the area, or the sinuses are swollen. I can't tell from the photo if that is a cloudy eye in the center or edematous/swollen conjunctiva. Closer photo would be helpful. I WOULD separate her for treatment. Keep in mind that most infectious bacterial and viral diseases can't be cured, only suppressed. By treating, you may be creating a carrier state. Less important if you plan to close your flock, but very important if you plan to bring in new chickens in the future or sell birds or chicks. Ideally you identify the organism before treatment, or start the ID process as you treat. Depending on where you live, you may have some state lab options for low cost diagnostics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by