Is This Ok???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by muscovy94, Dec 24, 2008.

1. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    Hey everyone my father a few years back gave me 4 OEGB. And when he gave them to me they were the last ones of that breed that he had. Well my father recently died a few months ago and I want to keep his little line of chickens going for as long as I can. Well recently one of my hens never came back one night. (he gave me 2 roosters and 2 hens) so that makes it harder to keep the little family going. so now I have 2 roosters and 1 hen of this breed.well I want to hatch some of their babies in the spring when they start laying again and have alot more of the chickens. OK, what Im wondering is, will it be ok if they inbreed since I only have 1 hen and 2 roosters? I dont plan on showing them or anything I just want to keep this little family of chickens going.

THANKS!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

2. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Generally...yes, it's ok. At least for a few generations. Then you will want to add in some "new blood" .

Just so you know...you can gather and refrigerator the one hens eggs for about 10 days, then put them in an incubator and they will probably do well for you. I refrigerate all our eggs that I am going to hatch. I think it keeps them fresher and they all hatch at the same time. [​IMG]

3. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    I agree, it will be just fine for a few generations. Just dont over do it.

4. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes you can do that. Later on down the line you will want to introduce new blood.

5. muscovy94

muscovy94 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2008
    Vicksburg, MS
    ok thanks. I just dont want them to have any health problems or any thing. THANKS!

6. mainchick

mainchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    it happens naturally all the time!

7. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    You certainly can breed them together for a long time. I have bred a line of R I Red bantams for over 20 years w/o adding any "new blood".

8. cherig22

cherig22 Green Fields Farm

Sep 2, 2008
    SW Missouri
    Quote:Bless your heart for wanting to do this. So many folks would just say they are only chickens, and not try to save a great line.

Cheri

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by