Is this ok?

Piepie

Chirping
Oct 1, 2022
For the producer's pride heat plate, is it ok for it to touch the shavings like this? They are 9 days old, will this be warm enough?
PXL_20221003_002027989.MP.jpg

Looks like they are happy. Might be a good idea to see what temps are in their brooder that way you can adjust. If needed you could always set the heat plate onto something to raise it up some if you needed to put it on brooder mode.

It shouldn't be a problem. Even the plates with two settings don't get very hot. Is that the one that has two sets of feet and two power settings? I used mine on the lower ("brooder") setting and laid it horizontally, which allows the birds to nest underneath it if they want to.

Ducks I don't know much about, but young chickens need to be pretty warm the first couple weeks (Over 90 degrees F). Watch their behavior. If they're too cold they'll huddle up for warmth and wont' be very active, while if they're hot they'll pant, drink lots of water, and try to get away from the heat source.

With my mixed flock of guineas & chicks, it varied with the breed & the particular bird. Some spent their first couple weeks mostly under the heat plate, only emerging for a couple of hours to feed & water, while others would sleep on top of it or just outside.

I'm now using the plate heaters vertically (like you have in your photo) in the coops for heating on cold nights.

It shouldn't be a problem. Even the plates with two settings don't get very hot. Is that the one that has two sets of feet and two power settings? I used mine on the lower ("brooder") setting and laid it horizontally, which allows the birds to nest underneath it if they want to.

Ducks I don't know much about, but young chickens need to be pretty warm the first couple weeks (Over 90 degrees F). Watch their behavior. If they're too cold they'll huddle up for warmth and wont' be very active, while if they're hot they'll pant, drink lots of water, and try to get away from the heat source.

With my mixed flock of guineas & chicks, it varied with the breed & the particular bird. Some spent their first couple weeks mostly under the heat plate, only emerging for a couple of hours to feed & water, while others would sleep on top of it or just outside.

I'm now using the plate heaters vertically (like you have in your photo) in the coops for heating on cold nights.
It's the tractor supply brand one with feet they can go on three settings but the tallest setting seemed too short for them. I'm going to put it up on some blocks of wood. It has two settings brooder or heater

Back
Top Bottom