Is this Pasty Butt or the Umbilical Cord?

Iluveggers

Crossing the Road
Jun 27, 2021
NYS
My babies are all 3-5 days old. Yesterday one of them had a tiny thread of what looked like crusted poop hanging from her vent. I wet it with a warm paper towel & tried to loosen it up but I don’t want to pull it in case it is poop stuck on the umbilical cord. When I put her down she immediately pooped, so I know it isn’t fully blocked. Today it is still there, and I tried cleaning it again & nothing. It’s not a circular patch, it’s more like a hanging string. I’ve attached a pic. She is pooping though & I feel bad constantly handling her. Should I leave it & observe, or try to get it off? Thanks so much

Attachments

• DF9DDAF2-2DE8-415C-924B-0458F3D648AA.jpeg
    DF9DDAF2-2DE8-415C-924B-0458F3D648AA.jpeg
    250.5 KB · Views: 50
We had an instance like this a chick had its umbilical cord and it got poop stuck on it. I tried to clean it but like you said it was all so hard so I left it on and it fell off a couple of weeks later. I don’t know if that’s what you want to do or try to get it off just don’t pull I think it’s dangerous

I’ll give them a little break from my prodding & try again in a little bit. You guys recommend coconut oil on a qtip or something else?

It might be pasty butt, but I wouldn’t clean it too much. You might hurt something so I’d just let it be unless it gets too poopy, then just clean it off and wait for a development of the situation.
I’ll give them a little break from my prodding & try again in a little bit. You guys recommend coconut oil on a qtip or something else?

It might be pasty butt, but I wouldn’t clean it too much. You might hurt something so I’d just let it be unless it gets too poopy, then just clean it off and wait for a development of the situation.
Thank you. So as long as I see them pooping they won’t die from it, right? I check them like 10 times a day.

Back
Top Bottom