Is this Pasty Butt or the Umbilical Cord?

We went out to dinner & when we got home at 8:30, the babies were all passed out under the heat plate. ❤️ I changed out the padding even though I hated to move them, and when I put the water & food back in they all came out for a few minutes for one last meal/drink. It wasn’t as bright as earlier to see, but neither chicks bum looked any worse (one looked a little better). Hoping the coconut oil helped. They both drank some water too which I figure is good. Thank you all for the advice. I hope I won’t have to ask again but I’m glad to be a part of BYC for anything that could go wrong!

Last edited:
That’s good!!
I normally just do warm water and a qtip. I will put a dab of warm water on any pasty butts and then make my rounds with each chick, that way, when I come back to the pasty butt chick, the water has done a lot of work. When I go to apply another dab of warm water, the poop normally comes off then.

So this is where we are right now. I got it away from the vent but it looks stained on some of the feathers still. She pooped without struggling & it didn’t seem to stick after. Thoughts? I want to give her some stress free time without wiping it so she can relax. Is it clean enough for now? Thank you!

Attachments

• 460603D5-4F96-4879-80C4-45B78109208A.jpeg
    460603D5-4F96-4879-80C4-45B78109208A.jpeg
    255.7 KB · Views: 11
Kinda hard to see the photo, but looks like pasty-butt to me too.

Another easy way to remove "soil" from the hiney area is to prepare a little bowl of warm water and get some Q-tips handy. Get the Q-tip soaked and just hold it or the crusty area until it softens; this shouldn't take more than a minute or so. Then, GENTLY rub the waste away. If it doesn't fully come off the first, time, repeat the process.

Try to minimize rubbing the Q-tip across their new and delicate skin so it doesn't get irritated. I like the solutions above too - do what works for you! :)

Last edited:
When checking my 6 day old baby chicks behinds I noticed one of the babies has a draining umbilical cord. Not bloody but kind of angry looking. Should I put triple antibiotic ointment on it? TIA

When checking my 6 day old baby chicks behinds I noticed one of the babies has a draining umbilical cord. Not bloody but kind of angry looking. Should I put triple antibiotic ointment on it? TIA
Can you please take some photos?
6 days old? Is there still an umbilical cord/open navel?
Is there any swelling or discoloration of the abdomen?
Chick eating/drinking and active?

Without seeing it, if there's something draining, then yes I would gently clean with Chlorhexidine, then apply triple antibiotic ointment. Keep the chick on clean dry bedding. Puppy pads work well.

Can you please take some photos?
6 days old? Is there still an umbilical cord/open navel?
Is there any swelling or discoloration of the abdomen?
Chick eating/drinking and active?

Without seeing it, if there's something draining, then yes I would gently clean with Chlorhexidine, then apply triple antibiotic ointment. Keep the chick on clean dry bedding. Puppy pads work well.

Yes. They are on puppy pads. I change bedding food and water 2x day.
Eating drinking and pooping well. The last picture is after I cleaned her booty. I also put triple antibiotics ointment on it. Small drainagrbut don't want to get infected.

Attachments

• IMG_2379.jpg
    IMG_2379.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2380.jpg
    IMG_2380.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_2378.jpg
    IMG_2378.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 7
Yes. They are on puppy pads. I change bedding food and water 2x day.
Eating drinking and pooping well. The last picture is after I cleaned her booty. I also put triple antibiotics ointment on it. Small drainagrbut don't want to get infected.
Just so we are on the same page here and I'm understanding what you are saying - she's got a discharge/drainage from the place (Yellow Arrow) under the vent right?
IF there's something coming out of where the yellow arrow is pointing - is it like clear material, poop, white urates? Looks like some urates/poop is in the fluff.
Next time you clean her up, can you wet that area just a little more, spread out the fluff and get a clearer photo.
I agree with you applying the ointment, it's not going to hurt anything.
1640487181668.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom