Is this pea comb too large for a 4 week old EE pullet?

I have a Cochin that had intensely red wattles and at the base of the comb at about 5-6 weeks, it's a pullet still no color in the comb but she's started squatting so hopefully any day now that comb will start to fill in.
Wow, a pullet with red wattles that early! That definitely tells me what I heard is false. Thanks!

Alright, here are some more pics. I was pretty sure cockerel for a bit there, but now I'm not so sure. They definitely act more like a cockerel than a pullet. He/she is 5 and a half weeks old now.
View attachment 2671221
View attachment 2671224
The chick doesn't have any wattles so far.

That reminds me: I heard someone say that when chicks are around 7 weeks and under, chicks with even the smallest amount of red in their wattles are immediately cockerels. Is this true? :hmm

Thanks in advance!
the coloring of that one looks very much looks like a cockerel. Here is a picture of my EE cockerel at 4.5 weeks compared to an EE pullets at 4.5 weeks.
cockerel (his name is sparky)
sparky 2(1).jpg
sparky 4.jpg

and Pullet her name is Dottie:

dottie 1 (1).jpg
dottie 3.jpg

notice how the coloring of his feathers are splotchy and he seems bigger and has scrappier feathers and she has more uniform coloring that has a gradient it seems to follow. Edit: these 2 looked identical as chicks up until 3 weeks old.

the coloring of that one looks very much looks like a cockerel. Here is a picture of my EE cockerel at 4.5 weeks compared to an EE pullets at 4.5 weeks.
cockerel (his name is sparky)
View attachment 2673965View attachment 2673967
and Pullet her name is Dottie:

View attachment 2673970 View attachment 2673971

notice how the coloring of his feathers are splotchy and he seems bigger and has scrappier feathers and she has more uniform coloring that has a gradient it seems to follow. Edit: these 2 looked identical as chicks up until 3 weeks old.
Yeah, I'm pretty convinced that mine is a cockerel. Thanks for the info! :D

Alright, here are some more pics. I was pretty sure cockerel for a bit there, but now I'm not so sure. They definitely act more like a cockerel than a pullet. He/she is 5 and a half weeks old now.
View attachment 2671221
View attachment 2671224
The chick doesn't have any wattles so far.

That reminds me: I heard someone say that when chicks are around 7 weeks and under, chicks with even the smallest amount of red in their wattles are immediately cockerels. Is this true? :hmm

Thanks in advance!
Do you have updated pictures?

Back
Top Bottom