Is this pea comb too large for a 4 week old EE pullet?

saving grace

Loving Life
Premium Feather Member
Feb 2, 2021
Canada
I know that at four weeks most gender guesses could very well be wrong, but I've heard that in EEs only roosters have 3 lined pea combs. Is this true? 🤔

I have a chick that I was really hoping to be a pullet, but the comb is definitely 3 lined. Not red at all yet, though. This is him/her here.
20210504_124307.jpg

Compared to one of my EEs that I know to be a roo already, since he has a large and very red pea comb (you can't tell in this lighting.)
20210504_124834.jpg

Is the first one definitely a roo? Or is it still up to chance?

I know that at four weeks most gender guesses could very well be wrong, but I've heard that in EEs only roosters have 3 lined pea combs. Is this true? 🤔

I have a chick that I was really hoping to be a pullet, but the comb is definitely 3 lined. Not red at all yet, though. This is him/her here.
View attachment 2649416

Compared to one of my EEs that I know to be a roo already, since he has a large and very red pea comb (you can't tell in this lighting.)
View attachment 2649424

Is the first one definitely a roo? Or is it still up to chance?
The idea that only roosters have three lined combs is a complete myth. I have a few hens that have three-lined combs.

The idea that only roosters have three lined combs is a complete myth. I have a few hens that have three-lined combs.
100% agree. I have been trying to stop this rumor for a while :) I've had plenty of exceptions, at least in Brahmas. Perhaps in Easter Eggers it works from what I've heard, but I am extremely hesitant to use that method. Steered me the wrong way for sure. Perhaps a suitable general rule, but wouldn't assume gender based on it alone :)

Any updates?
Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure the chick is a roo. Their comb hasn't got much bigger, but it has definitely pinked up. They're also extremely bold compared to even the other roosters, and acts like a little roo! Now that they've gotten a bit older their nice personality is fading, so I'm not as disappointed as I was before.

Back
Top Bottom