Is this poo a sign of disease?

Jemma Rider

Songster
Nov 25, 2017
Maryland
My chicks live outside in a coop and run next to my main coop and run. Every morning after the adult hens have laid their eggs i go out and put the chicks in the large run to explore, for a few hours i sit out there on a small stool and the chicks always like to jump onto my lap and roost on my shoulders. I got pooped on three times today by two different chicks, both were a normal pretty solid poop but both had cecal poop with it. I noticed a lot of these poops around. the cecal looks like normal, it's orange and gooey looking, and the normal poo looks normal as well but instead of being separate and the cecal coming around every fifteen poops or so it's very frequent and mixed in with the normal poop.
I can maybe get some pictures tomorrow morning, the chicks are all acting completely normal otherwise they're very excited to be outside. They're eating and drinking and running around and fly like crazy. They are on non medicated chick feed, fresh water is available all of the time, they will be eight weeks on Monday, i have one polish, one porcelain d'uccle, and one dark cornish.
I thought about starting them on corid in case of coccidiosis but i don't like to medicate unless i have a better grasp of the problem if there is any problem at all, and i feel like i may be jumping the gun a little bit here.
If this is a sickness or disease what could it be? And if it is what should i do? Or am i just being insanely paranoid, paranoia is a very viable option and the one i am hoping for.
Thanks!

Heard the song "Paranoia will destroy ya"? Just had to bring that up since you mentioned it :) honestly I never seen what your describing so I haven't had to deal with it, but I' sure you get some answers shortly, good luck

A picture would help,
I’d caution you about letting them sit on your shoulders , that’s very close to your shiny eye and chickens love shiny things.

Also it’s not a great idea because they will fly at your head and face as they get bigger... just remember you need to be training them to be chickens ...

And tomorrow take poop pictures , I think you’ll find that every poop is not textbook or picture perfect .

A picture would help,
I’d caution you about letting them sit on your shoulders , that’s very close to your shiny eye and chickens love shiny things.

Also it’s not a great idea because they will fly at your head and face as they get bigger... just remember you need to be training them to be chickens ...

And tomorrow take poop pictures , I think you’ll find that every poop is not textbook or picture perfect .
:goodpost:

Heard the song "Paranoia will destroy ya"? Just had to bring that up since you mentioned it :) honestly I never seen what your describing so I haven't had to deal with it, but I' sure you get some answers shortly, good luck
No but that it sounds like a theme song for my existence :lol:

A picture would help,

I'll be getting pictures tomorrow, it was around bedtime when i realized the poo wasn't a one time thing.
Yeah, first night i had her my dark cornish named Ginger almost took my eye out, but they've learned at this point, I've started setting them back on my lap when they jump on my shoulders or head, it's the highlight of my day though so I'm not quite ready to push them off every time but I'm working towards making them less like babies and more like chickens.

Alright so here are the best pictures i could get, sorry of they aren't of any help,
one of the chicks had just stepped in the first one and smeared the cecal all around, and the other was too far away. These poops come about every other poop, they're acting normal and eating so I'm hoping it's nothing but it's sort of weird for cecal to be in almost every poop right?
IMG_20180811_085827.jpg
IMG_20180811_085836.jpg

I don't see anything alarming in those pictures. If they are running around and acting completely normal I would not worry too much. Obviously if that were to change then I'd reconsider. Since they are young and newly outdoors they are probably eating a lot more fiberous stuff they are finding, so that may be why you are seeing more. I would just make sure they have access to grit, and just make sure nothing changes behavior wise.
These may help:
https://www.communitychickens.com/how-your-chickens-cecal-pouches-affect-its-droppings/
https://the-chicken-chick.com/whats-scoop-on-chicken-poop-digestive/
http://www.chookschickenfarm.co.uk/cecal-poo

Back
Top Bottom