1 Week Old Chick Sleeping and Unwell

leecb

In the Brooder
Dec 19, 2023
Hi! New to BYC. I have 8 baby chicks - 9 days old - and one of them is not doing as well. I'm hoping some of y'all may have advice or insight!

- I noticed symptoms beginning yesterday morning (so this is day 2): primarily she seems very lethargic and is sleeping far more than the others. Sleeping standing up and lying down
- When she has moved around, she acts normal for a bit - eats and drinks and poops normally - but overall not getting much food and water
- This morning she had one all-white somewhat liquidy poop (is this normal?) but an hour or so later had a completely normal poop again

She has chick feed, chick grit, water, and then alternates between sav-a-chick electrolytes+probiotics and acv water
Right now, she has access to BOTH the acv water and sav-a-chick
Brooder is pine shavings and they have a dustbath with dirt from the yard

I did give them some grass clipping and dandelion green so wonder if it could be her crop, but am having trouble identifying if this is a crop issue? Would she be pooping normally if it were a crop issue? Stopped giving this for now, just to be safe

Next planned step is to try feeding some hardboiled egg and then I might try nutri-drench
I am not eager to separate her because when the other chicks come over for their naps she likes to cuddle with them. Would you advise separating her?

I can't tell if she is having a specific issue or just failing or slow to thrive. All the other chicks seem very happy and healthy! Any advice appreciated, thank you in advance!

We had a sleepy chick who didn't eat very well her first few days in the brooder. I fed her a "mash" made with some chick food crumbles and some electrolyte water (chicks really go crazy for mash). She perked right up. She was only a few days old, though, not a week. We realized later that she was just a very "chill" little girl, she just liked to rest and snuggle.

I am not experienced, take advice from the experts, not me! This is just some insight and something to consider :)

Good luck with your little chick, and welcome to BYC! :frow

We had a sleepy chick who didn't eat very well her first few days in the brooder. I fed her a "mash" made with some chick food crumbles and some electrolyte water (chicks really go crazy for mash). She perked right up. She was only a few days old, though, not a week. We realized later that she was just a very "chill" little girl, she just liked to rest and snuggle.

I am not experienced, take advice from the experts, not me! This is just some insight and something to consider :)

Good luck with your little chick, and welcome to BYC! :frow
Thank you!! I appreciate your response. It is calming to hear of other sleepy chicks doing well :)

Back
Top Bottom