Black poop

McCouchsky

Hatching
Sep 10, 2023
Hello everyone. I am new to backyard chickens (both this site, and raising poultry).

About 1 week ago I noticed that at least one (but not anywhere near majority) of my ten 5 week old chicks have this strange black poop. It is different from the brown cecal poop that I have previously seen. I am not sure if it is a different type of cecal poop. It is very black, and it is sticky (I see it stuck on some chicks feet). I am not sure if it is smelly. None of the chickens act like they are sick and are eating well, but I do see more of this poop every day. They are only eating chick feed.

I saw a similar image of this type of poop in an old thread on this site, but the thread didn't get much traction: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/black-runny-poop.588401/
Although the poops in my coop do not have the white/light part in the center. It is just the black runny/gooey stuff in the pic.

Hello everyone. I am new to backyard chickens (both this site, and raising poultry).

About 1 week ago I noticed that at least one (but not anywhere near majority) of my ten 5 week old chicks have this strange black poop. It is different from the brown cecal poop that I have previously seen. I am not sure if it is a different type of cecal poop. It is very black, and it is sticky (I see it stuck on some chicks feet). I am not sure if it is smelly. None of the chickens act like they are sick and are eating well, but I do see more of this poop every day. They are only eating chick feed.

I saw a similar image of this type of poop in an old thread on this site, but the thread didn't get much traction: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/black-runny-poop.588401/
Although the poops in my coop do not have the white/light part in the center. It is just the black runny/gooey stuff in the pic.
Welcome To BYC

Can you post photos of the poop and the chicks?

If it's similar to the poop you linked, then it's Cecal poop which is a stinky, sticky pudding like poop that comes from the Ceca. You'll see this type of poop about once out of every 8-10 "normal" poops. Cecal poop can be very dark to very light.

If your chicks are active, eating/drinking and seem to be doing o.k. then I'd just monitor them. It's great that you are paying attention to their poop and behavior.

Back
Top Bottom