Sudden Lethargy and strange poops

Fluff to Feather Farms

In the Brooder
Feb 8, 2023
My 1 yo hen Sol, was being her snuggly mischievous self yesterday. This morning I was dusting the coop in diatomaceous earth and found her in the nesting box. She was standing so I thought she was laying or did lay an egg. She pooped a super smelly, runny, gooey, poop. She is super lethargic and will slowly walk over to me to snuggle. I’m not sure if she ate something weird or if she’s egg bound. I don’t feel anything in her abdomen. Thank you in advance. image.jpg
image.jpg

She could be having trouble with an egg or something, so I would get some calcium citrate +D3 and give her some.
Giving her some warm baths may help too.
Is she eating and drinking?
She is drinking. She won’t eat from my hand, but her crop is pretty full.

How does her crop feel? Any foul odor coming from her beak?
Early the next morning check her crop and see if its still full.
Her crop feels normal and so does her breath. I am soaking her while typing this. she’s really relaxed! I did get some calcium and d3 in her.

Her crop feels normal and so does her breath. I am soaking her while typing this. she’s really relaxed! I did get some calcium and d3 in her.
Great! That's all good.

Is her abdomen bloated at all? (Abdomen is located underneath the vent behind the legs.)

For that poop she did, was there any unusual bits or something like that in it? Its a bit hard to tell, but was it yellow at all?

Great! That's all good.

Is her abdomen bloated at all? (Abdomen is located underneath the vent behind the legs.)

For that poop she did, was there any unusual bits or something like that in it? Its a bit hard to tell, but was it yellow at all?
Her abdomen wasn’t swollen. I didn’t notice any strange bits in the poop. It wasn’t really yellow but more off white. A few hours after I gave her a bath, I put her back in the flock and she had a drink of water and pooped again. This time it was yellow. I just checked her crop and it is about half as full as it was yesterday. She hasn’t eaten yet but I have their grit and oyster in the coop, so she could have eaten that. It’s not watery or anything unusual. Her breath smells normal too. She is acting normal now. Her tail is perky, she’s squawking ant me, she’s jumping up and pecking my leg, and she is walking normally.
Thanks so much for the help!

Her abdomen wasn’t swollen. I didn’t notice any strange bits in the poop. It wasn’t really yellow but more off white. A few hours after I gave her a bath, I put her back in the flock and she had a drink of water and pooped again. This time it was yellow. I just checked her crop and it is about half as full as it was yesterday. She hasn’t eaten yet but I have their grit and oyster in the coop, so she could have eaten that. It’s not watery or anything unusual. Her breath smells normal too. She is acting normal now. Her tail is perky, she’s squawking ant me, she’s jumping up and pecking my leg, and she is walking normally.
Thanks so much for the help!
I know yellow droppings can be a sign of liver or reproductive problems, so I was thinking of that.
I'm glad she's doing better! Keep an eye on her though.
I would try giving her some meat, fish, or eggs to get some protein into her.

Back
Top Bottom