Is this Possible? Selling Chickens?

You also need to keep in mind that hatchery vent sexing is about 90% accurate. That means you'll have at least 1 cockerel in every 10 chicks. What are you going to do with them? And young cockerels eat about twice as much feed as pullets. So that will also add to the expense.

You also need to keep in mind that hatchery vent sexing is about 90% accurate. That means you'll have at least 1 cockerel in every 10 chicks. What are you going to do with them? And young cockerels eat about twice as much feed as pullets. So that will also add to the expense.

This would also be a good reason to deal with 4H, bc members doing chickens will need a trio or quad, so that'd be one way to find homes for the extra boys (but you'd have to know which were boys at a young age).
You could also maybe find someone local that processes birds, and see if they'd teach you in exchange for a few free birds. Then you could also help fill your parents freezer with the extra boys.

Hello, and welcome to the forum! I am so glad you decided to join us today, and I hope you will make yourself at home here and enjoy it as much as I have! :frow

~Cuz

This would also be a good reason to deal with 4H, bc members doing chickens will need a trio or quad, so that'd be one way to find homes for the extra boys (but you'd have to know which were boys at a young age).
You could also maybe find someone local that processes birds, and see if they'd teach you in exchange for a few free birds. Then you could also help fill your parents freezer with the extra boys.

Is it reasonable to exchange 1 rooster for 2 hens or would it have to be 1 rooster for 1 hen.

I personally don't see how you can make an income off of this. Once you subtract chick feed, cost of chicks and shipping.
I do not want to be harsh but I screwed my whole business up this last year, by not being on top of laying hen managment and losing money rather then making money. And I would hate to see another teen who is also trying to prove something to their parents fail as I did this last year.

I am a teen also, I breed and show cochins and even to support that I need a flock of laying hens, and the laying hens do pay for themselves and the cochins and by the end of the year I should have at least $1000 left over and even with the laying hens at about the time my current laying flock hits 60 weeks I need to be hatching another 50 chicks, and also need to butcher or sell the other 50 before the new ones move into the coop.
I will make a lot more then anticipated this year though as an amazing person I've never met is giving me a pair of 4 rare breeds so they will make me some money off of chicks.
But I do not really see how raising 10 chicks for probably $3 at least after shipping will make any money at laying point even if you already have previous supplies, and then selling them for $15 at probably 16-20 weeks could be profitable.

Is it reasonable to exchange 1 rooster for 2 hens or would it have to be 1 rooster for 1 hen.

You would have to find a crazy person to do That! Unless it was a rare breed! Most people won't trade money making birds, females, for non money makers, makes.

If you need any help with the parents or help with anything feel free to message me
1f60a.png

I can sell 15-20 week old pullets for $20 and make about $6-7 profit each. I can sell rarer breeds for $25 which cost me about $1 more each at hatch.
You will make the most by getting a nice quality heritage breed trio, hatching eggs and selling them as day olds. You can sell day old for $5-10 and you only have 21 days into them not 15 weeks.
You also have to factor in loss (death) getting them to POL.

check your local law first. For example, most counties will allow people to own chickens, however, ONLY for personal use. Plus, some cities also have a limit of how many chickens you can have and a business like this, will probably only benefit with high numbers of hens. Now chances are nobody will show up and check to make sure you arent profiting from your poultry, but just a heads up.

You can google your city and municipal code and you can find the information there.

I wouldn't process any hens unless they were not laying.. you'll want to order use processing as a way to "find homes" for the extra boys you accumulate. If you can find an older farmer that knows what they're doing, and say you have 10 males you need processed. Give him (or her) 5 for teaching you, you put the other 5 in your parents freezer..but assist that farmer with every single bird. If finding an older farmer isn't an option check with your local extension office and see if they offer classes on processing.

You would have to find a crazy person to do That! Unless it was a rare breed! Most people won't trade money making birds, females, for non money makers, makes.

If you need any help with the parents or help with anything feel free to message me
1f60a.png

We were talking about trading male birds for meat in exchange for teaching how to process.. nothing to do with breeding or money birds.Also, finding the right mentor can make a huge difference in the outcome of your adventure. I spent years raising rare breeds or colors, and every single year I always gave 4H and FFA first options on trios to get started and would never in a million years think of charging any youth full price for birds. I'd rather give them to someone knowing that today's youth are poultrys tomorrow, I wouldn't be okay with myself personally. And I'm sure there are many others out there that feel the same. Not saying by any means jump into rare exhibition birds, because I think you are on the right path. Once you've decided if it's some thing you want to do long term and decide processing isn't for you, then maybe.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom