Is this possible?

CariLynn

Songster
9 Years
Aug 23, 2010
State of confusion
My now 8, seven week old Ameraucana pullets have been outside for about 2 and a half weeks now and love it. Their "coop" is a giant dog kennel with several roosts for them to get use to that and an old horse blanket thrown over for protection on the sides and back and to protect them from the elements. A few days ago one of them disappeared, we fear it was an owl, as it was near twilight. Now, the remaining pullets don't go onto the top of the kennel to settle down for the night like they use to and have begun to fly up and over the netting we have that were separating them from the adults. The adults pretty much leave them alone unless they get close, then they chase them away and stop, they don't go very far or chase for very long, our hens for the most part are rather well fed and lazy.

Is it possible to let them out during the day with the adults now that they are this age and have some height and weight on them? Also, if I take the adult crumbles out of there and put the baby starter crumbles and let everyone eat, with having oyster shells and grit out, will that be okay for all of them till the babies coop comes next week?

If not, around twilight when they start to fly over the fence, and I did clip their wing feathers, they still fly, I can catch them and put them in their crate for the night. Just thought I would give them a bit more freedom. I also worry about them going in the adult coop, it would be WAY over crowded if they did. Suggestions?

They might be growing out of their crate, or maybe they just want to roost together with everyone else. We put our chickens out to roost with the flock when they were about two months old. Is it possible for you to extend your coop in any way shape or form?
Anyhow, it should be fine if you let them out with the rest of the flock, from what you're saying it doesn't sound like pecking will be too bad of a problem. You're lucky! Anyhow, if you're putting them together just make sure there are two food/water stations so the younger chicks can still get access to food if the hens are chasing them away.

Back
Top Bottom