Is this poultry lice?

ChickenLittle5

Chirping
Mar 24, 2020
TN
Is this chicken lice around the hen's eyes? I want to make sure I'm treating for the correct pests before I clean the coop and spray all the birds.

chicken lice.jpg

ChickenLittle5

Chirping
Mar 24, 2020
TN
Yes, those are lice. Do you have any permethrin spray or dust?
Thanks. No, I don’t have any sprays. I’m going to Tractor Supply tomorrow and want to make sure I buy the right thing. Is permethrin safe around the eggs? Unfortunately the new bedding won’t be here until Friday, so I’m not going to treat them until I can do everything! I’m also going to inspect a few more birds to make sure lice is our only problem. Or does permethrin treat other pests too? Based on what I read, my plan is to let the chickens free range while I 1) clean out all existing bedding/feathers from the coop & run; 2) spray coop & run in the morning so it can dry by night fall; 3) once dry replace with new bedding; and 4) when the chickens come in to roost spray all of them. I’ll repeat per the instructions. Does that sound right?

cmom

Hilltop Farm
Premium Feather Member
14 Years
Nov 18, 2007
Florida
My Coop
My Coop
You can get permethrin premixed. I would used a Q-tip being careful not to get it in her eyes. There is no egg withdrawal period with permethrin.

Attachments

• MartinsPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    MartinsPen&PoultrySpray.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 10
  • PermethrinSprayRev(2).jpg
    PermethrinSprayRev(2).jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 2
  • PermethrinSpray.jpg
    PermethrinSpray.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 2

cmom

Hilltop Farm
Premium Feather Member
14 Years
Nov 18, 2007
Florida
My Coop
My Coop
I also put poultry dust in the nest boxes. Permethrin doesn't kill the pests eggs as with most insecticides so weekly repeated treatments are necessary for 3 or 4 weeks. Permethrin is good for may different pests. Here is a chart for the different permethrin concentrations that @casportpony made. I use the 0.50% solution. Good luck...
casportponyPermethrinChart.jpg

Attachments

• PoultryDust.jpg
    PoultryDust.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 11

Top Bottom