Is this predator proof?

LalaP

Songster
Aug 11, 2020
I can buy this wire fencing 2nd hand pretty cheap but I don't really know what it is. Is it raccoon proof? Could I use it across the top of the coop under the roof? Thx
IMG_6341.JPG

Not sure what kind of wire it is, but it looks pretty thick and could make a good base material... You'd still need to overlay wire with holes no bigger than 1/2" over this, in order to exclude predators. Coons can simply reach in and tear pieces of chickens right through larger holes. Mink/weasels, rats, snakes can all simply walk in.

If I'm not mistaken, that is called woven wire, or horse fencing. Looks like 2" x 3" openings. I used 5 foot tall horse fence for a 1/2 acre "pen" around the coop and enclosed run.

It won't stop predators as is, but, in my case, it slows them down enough to allow the dogs to intervene. I plan to run some electric wire to make it (almost) pred proof.

Depending on your predator load, I don't see why it couldn't be used in certain areas, along with other materials, such as hardware cloth, to make a secure coop/run.

I'm not clear on what you mean by "under the roof". Either way, if you plan on making a fenced in area of any kind, this fence works well, but is NOT predator proof.

Thanks y’all. Looks like I’ll be springing for more hardware cloth.

“Under the roof” was a confusing thing to say. I’m building a 4x8 walk-in coop and I’m gonna make the roof like this (but without attached run, just coop)
BB26A87B-0463-4FC9-A0F9-80815EFA2F14.png

Back
Top Bottom