Is this predator proof?

LalaP

Chirping
Aug 11, 2020
I can buy this wire fencing 2nd hand pretty cheap but I don't really know what it is. Is it raccoon proof? Could I use it across the top of the coop under the roof? Thx
IMG_6341.JPG

rosemarythyme

Crossing the Road
Jul 3, 2016
WA, Pac NW
My Coop
Not sure what kind of wire it is, but it looks pretty thick and could make a good base material... You'd still need to overlay wire with holes no bigger than 1/2" over this, in order to exclude predators. Coons can simply reach in and tear pieces of chickens right through larger holes. Mink/weasels, rats, snakes can all simply walk in.

svh

Songster
Dec 24, 2019
Mid Missouri
If I'm not mistaken, that is called woven wire, or horse fencing. Looks like 2" x 3" openings. I used 5 foot tall horse fence for a 1/2 acre "pen" around the coop and enclosed run.

It won't stop predators as is, but, in my case, it slows them down enough to allow the dogs to intervene. I plan to run some electric wire to make it (almost) pred proof.

Depending on your predator load, I don't see why it couldn't be used in certain areas, along with other materials, such as hardware cloth, to make a secure coop/run.

I'm not clear on what you mean by "under the roof". Either way, if you plan on making a fenced in area of any kind, this fence works well, but is NOT predator proof.

LalaP

Chirping
Aug 11, 2020
Thanks y’all. Looks like I’ll be springing for more hardware cloth.

“Under the roof” was a confusing thing to say. I’m building a 4x8 walk-in coop and I’m gonna make the roof like this (but without attached run, just coop)
BB26A87B-0463-4FC9-A0F9-80815EFA2F14.png

Top Bottom