Is this pullet rumpless? Or is there something wrong with her?

K0k0shka

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Jul 24, 2019
Boston Area, MA
My Coop
My Coop
One of my 3-month-old Red Partridge Orpington pullets has a weird butt. Her tail has always looked a bit off... Folding straight down over her butt. I've never seen it upright like on the rest of my Orpingtons of different colors. I've never seen her shake her tail either. Her sisters' tails look normal. She's English, so I know they have a more rounded look to them, and my adults are quite round, including the tail area. But their tail feathers still point up, even if short and rounded. Her tail feathers are actually quite long, they just fold and point straight down over the vent, always. She has the profile of a rumpless chicken, if you look at her from the side. The breed is under development at the place where I got her from as a hatching egg (Papa's Poultry) but there are no rumpless breeds being mixed in. Just varieties of Orpington. Random mutation maybe? Or is this a sign that there's something wrong with her?

I tried feeling around under the fluff for a tail, but it's hard to tell. I think there's something there, that the tail feathers are attached to, but not sure if that's her tail, if she has one. On her sisters, it's easier to feel a separate nub where the tail is, but on her I can't tell if I'm feeling a tail or just the tight clump of feathers back there. The tail is clearly visible and easy to feel on the grown hens, but the pullets are a lot more densely feathered, and everything is smaller, so it's harder.

She was the first to hatch and has always been the largest of the brood (only recently dethroned in size by the second in line). She's healthy and acts normal. I'm just curious. This batch of Red Partridge Orps has been weird overall. Out of the three pullets, one appears rumpless, one is almost completely black, and the third has blue feet...

1627662639429.png

1627663076668.png

1627663189669.png

With one of her sisters:
1627663283652.png

Her other sister:
1627663316607.png

Interesting. It appears she does have a tail from the rear view in the second photo. She seems to be unable to hold her tail erect.

Here's what I'd like for you to do. Take one of her normal sisters and feel the spine and tail stub. Then feel this pullet in the same way. Compare.

Is her spine straight? Is the tail stub the same?

Next, part the feathers and look at the skin on the tail for any sign of lesions or crusty wounds.

My guess is she either has a genetic abnormality of the spine or tail, or she has a nasty wound on her tail that is causing her pain.

@azygous thanks for the reply! She doesn't have a wound. Her tail/butt has always looked like this, ever since her feathers grew in. She looked like a normal chick pre-feathers and had a little nub for a tail like the others. Then she feathered out much sooner than everybody else, was the first to get tail feathers, and had the longest tail feathers of all the chicks. The tail feathers just grew pointing down, and that's just how it's always been. She's not guarding it or acting like she's in pain at all - she's very active and mobile, flies up to the roost, and generally acts like a normal chicken. I've just never seen her move her tail. Though somehow she manages to poop without getting herself dirty, so maybe she does move it some?

Here are some photos of her at different ages.
6ACA5091-9C44-4869-9089-D04673CC0FF5.jpeg

B517877D-1BF4-47DF-9C69-DF2B49935CA7.jpeg
EC394D61-7054-4889-9D8F-EC2DB3E28132.jpeg
C53C77D4-33E6-49B5-9407-39AA0A956045.jpeg
129E8E0F-9972-41FE-A2AC-6FA6D9730F24.jpeg
15D870FA-20B6-49D4-A875-1E2534F58120.jpeg
EBFA66BF-8E57-4DF2-BE46-5BA9C734F545.jpeg

I felt around under the fluff yesterday - both on her and on her normal sisters. It feels like she does have a tail nub, I think, it's just a lot smaller than theirs. I'll feel again tomorrow and part the feathers to see if there's anything visible. She doesn't mind me poking around back there, so she's definitely not in pain.

@azygous thanks for the reply! She doesn't have a wound. Her tail/butt has always looked like this, ever since her feathers grew in. She looked like a normal chick pre-feathers and had a little nub for a tail like the others. Then she feathered out much sooner than everybody else, was the first to get tail feathers, and had the longest tail feathers of all the chicks. The tail feathers just grew pointing down, and that's just how it's always been. She's not guarding it or acting like she's in pain at all - she's very active and mobile, flies up to the roost, and generally acts like a normal chicken. I've just never seen her move her tail. Though somehow she manages to poop without getting herself dirty, so maybe she does move it some?

Here are some photos of her at different ages.
View attachment 2780086
View attachment 2780089View attachment 2780087View attachment 2780088View attachment 2780094View attachment 2780091View attachment 2780092

I felt around under the fluff yesterday - both on her and on her normal sisters. It feels like she does have a tail nub, I think, it's just a lot smaller than theirs. I'll feel again tomorrow and part the feathers to see if there's anything visible. She doesn't mind me poking around back there, so she's definitely not in pain.
How does she look now?

Looks like she’s partially rumpless. I’ve seen it happen with araucana crosses.
My guess is a random mutation, since she doesn't have any araucana in her bloodline. And she does have a tail, it's just a lot smaller than the others' and is permanently curled down and immobile.

Back
Top Bottom