Is this right (mites)?

cms1113

Songster
10 Years
Feb 2, 2009
DE
I got the built up hard poop off my chickens butts, wash there butts under running water while rubbing it with a paper towel which seemed to get most of the mites off, then i powdered them with sevin dust. I replaced their bedding and sprinkled a little sevin on it too. Now just wait?

Also, since i found the mites on my new chickens it made me check the two i got about a month ago. One was fine but i still powdered her too but the other was covered and it seemed like she may have had lice too because i seen a few larger clear/white bugs on her (i think someone said lice were white). So i got her good.

Since the seramas are more then likely going to stay in the house, once the mites are gone should i have to worry about them getting to them again?

Last edited:
Once you have done all of that dusting... if they stay inside, you shouldn't have a problem. If they are outside they could become reinfested someday. I use DE in their bedding as a preventative. I read that you put seven dust in their bedding which should work. Did you remove the clump of white eggs below the vent area? After I did what you did about 9 months ago, I have not had anymore so far... Hoped this helped a little.

Love my Critters! :

Once you have done all of that dusting... if they stay inside, you shouldn't have a problem. If they are outside they could become reinfested someday. I use DE in their bedding as a preventative. I read that you put seven dust in their bedding which should work. Did you remove the clump of white eggs below the vent area? After I did what you did about 9 months ago, I have not had anymore so far... Hoped this helped a little.

I washed it all!!! I seen how easy they were coming off when i ran their hineys on the water and rubbed it with a paper towel so i did that until everyting looked pretty much clear.

I almost forgot, my rooster had really hard chunks of poo on his hiney and once i got them off, which i didn't think i did too rough, his butt was bleeding a little. It seems to have stopped though. He's in a cage with just one hen, who doesn't seem to pay him any attention so should i worry about the area that was bleeding a little?​

Back
Top Bottom