Is this ring of death? Day 5 or 6

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by melanie, Mar 15, 2013.

1. melanie

melanie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    Hi, if you look in the 2:00 position, does this area look bad? Can't tell if this is blood, or something that's supposed to be happening. [​IMG]

Sorry but I haven't figure out how to post photos on here directly. Thanks for any input.

2. Bill 101

Bill 101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2013
    Oregon
    That appears to be a chick that started to grow & died, That is a blood ring. If you have doubts put it back in the incubator & leave it till da7 or 10 & check again

3. melanie

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    Thank you. That's what I was afraid of.

4. melanie

Feb 16, 2009
    Texas
    I double checked it, and def. saw it moving same rhythm as a heartbeat. Is it possible it's OK, and will survive?

5. blzzrdqueen

blzzrdqueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Albany NY
    I'm going to keep an eye on this thread, I saw the same thing in a couple of my D'Uccles that are on day 4, although I DID see a beating heart in one that had a ring like that around the veining....[​IMG]

6. brahmabreeder

brahmabreeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2012
    Northeast Ohio
    Personally I would wait a few days. Then if it's worse toss it and if it stays/gets better leave it.

7. purplechicken7

purplechicken7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2016
    North Carolina
    My Coop
    I'm new to hatching eggs but I have an egg that started out with a ring and I've been watching it very carefully. My egg is a bantam egg and like I said before, it started with a ring. Now, the egg has been in the incubator for about a week and I'm noticing movement and an eyeball. I personally believe that your egg is okay.

8. krazychickylady

krazychickylady Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2016
    I would certainly wait.. It does have a ring.. but it also clearly has an embryo.. make me think it is growing.. by day 7 you should see the embryo moving and "swimming" around.. When ever I have had a ring of death... there was never the vessel development nor the embryo that big.. but that's just me, I would be interested in seeing it at day 7??

9. MultipleAnimals

MultipleAnimals Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2016
    Texas
    This post is from 2013

10. krazychickylady

krazychickylady Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2016
    Oh,I'm sorry I see that now.. I guess I was thrown off by purplechicken7 posting about 2 hours ago..

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by