Is this Roo all Sliky, is he standard sized?

FireTigeris

Tyger! Tyger! burning bright
10 Years
Nov 22, 2009
Jacksonville, FL - Arligton-
He was left in a cardboard box on my front door, he crows, he prances and is just now not attacking- not that he hurts if you have long clothes on.

He goes off at 6:30 unless its rainy, again whenever someone comes near the fence area.

We assume he was over confined and abused.

We had no chickens, just some doves and rolling pigeons... and cats and rats (yes domestic... not bred).

The Fair just left town, maybe he was a loser.

He looks to big/feels too heavy for a bantam... (I think)

He's partial free range and roost up on the rail of the porch (higher then I thought he would go).

He has access to scratch, pigeon grit (till I get some proper chicken grit) and water but prefers to hunt.

Is this Roo all Sliky, is he standard sized?

If he's mixed then with what?

He has NO color in his feathers at all, his wing feathers seem to nearly work.

His name is Benny and the neighbors so far are cool with him as we plan to get some Wy hens to have eggs (4 hens 6mth old, 2 silver 2 gold).

(will him mating them be a problem? I want him to warn for dogs, cats, hawks and coons, the possums wont bother the fence- nor the gators)

Oh his feet are black like his beak and he is 5 toed with feathered feet.

Big pictures are clicky instead.

Last edited:
I am not sure that just because a silkie attacks you that he is over confined or abused. Sometimes roos just seem to be that way. I have no idea if he is mixed or not. I am not a silkie lover but I do like how this ones feathers look, not quite silkie but like silkies of the other breeds, if that makes sense.

He looks like a silkie, and the 5 toes is definitely silkie, but his tail definitely shows a cross with something. Silkies have fluff for a tail, your boy has a "flag"
tongue.png
When you get hens, he won't be a problem unless you want to hatch purebred eggs... That obviously won't happen with 2 different breeds
big_smile.png
If he is good at free ranging WONDERFUL!!

welcome-byc.gif
!

Yes that is 100% silkie.

What people need to realize is the quality of a bird sometimes rather than assuming that it's a crossbred bird. I've seen it a lot lately and quite frankly it's starting tick me off a bit.. No offense to anyone.

Last edited:
So he's a silkie but a poor one which is why his tail and wing feathers almost work- going to socialize the boy so I can take proper picture of his primaries.

I guess maybe whoever had him got laughed out of the county fair and dumped them on me?

I hate evil people.

----
As I recall in that guy who's trying to breed back to wild type GG dark skin and 5 toes are both dominant, silkie feathers are recessive. (is there a genetics area?)

Will he grow feathers on his earlobe? Maybe his in molt or something, his head feathers are pretty pathetic too.

Thanks-

Just a pet/production quality silky roo... And they can be larger... I've seen some pretty good sized purebred Silkies... They were twice the size of the more popular fluffy foo foo ones they just weren' show quality. The breeder kept them for incubating eggs.

Last edited:
Quote:
Feathers do not grow on the earlobes. I believe you are referring to a beard which grows below the beak and can reach up to the ear lobes. Silkies come in bearded and non-bearded. Yours looks to be non-bearded. And his crest is do to his quality. Lower quality Silkies tend to have smaller crests and large "mass-like" combs. Not all Silkies get the poofy heads. If you like him, great! But he is not breeder/show quality.

Back
Top Bottom