Is this Rouen a drake?

Mar 26, 2020
Southern Vermont
Hard to see it but there is a slight green sheen to the head and the brown feather trim is going away, at 10 weeks I see no evidence of a neck ring however
40B3EE2D-93F2-421F-8C56-3EBAB1C1FCB8.jpeg

If its bill doesn't start turning yellow-green really soon, it's a girl. Their dark head feathers will sometimes have a greenish sheen in the light. If it is a girl it would absolutely have been quacking loudly for a few weeks by now. Boys just softly transition from peeping to a quiet quack. Girls honk and scare you half to death :gig

If its bill doesn't start turning yellow-green really soon, it's a girl. Their dark head feathers will sometimes have a greenish sheen in the light. If it is a girl it would absolutely have been quacking loudly for a few weeks by now. Boys just softly transition from peeping to a quiet quack. Girls honk and scare you half to death :gig
I can't decide by the quack, this one puts up an awful fuss sometimes but I wouldn't say its such a quack as the pekins. but since she's been injured she's been sleeping in the house when I turn the the other ones out in the morning they will get quacking at each other through the front door, and it will be a sudden QUACK! but I could see it being considered a honk and it's right out of the blue. here's hoping!

Thanks, as this is currently a 600 dollar duck, that’s great to hear! We hope we have just thebone Pekin drake, he doesn’t get very loud and sounds like he has laryngitis when he tries to, one Pekin I have no doubt but the other I am on the fence about. She can make noise but isn’t really vocal much

Back
Top Bottom