Is this Salmon Marans?

I have a hen and a roo that I got as chicks last year from my friend.
The chicks come out from a very dark egg. And my friend got her hens and roo from a man some years ago, he said they were Marans.

I have posted the pics of my roo and hen and the chicks I just hatched in an incubator.
But noone can tell me if they are Marans. Bec the Marans breed is not so common here in NOrway. And the common colours of Marans here is cuckoo and black with cobber.

I have tried to search on the net and found some pics on the French Marans clubs pages.
The pics looks much like my birds, and the chicks too.

So I need help to find out if I have Golden Salmon Marans??

Are you sure that they are Marans? The hen definitely looks like a Welsummer and so does the roo. Also they are clean legged like Welsummers, Marans should have leg feathering.

I'm just about convinced that you got Welsummers instead of Marans, but they will lay a nice dark brown egg too.

Gee, the more I look at pics now, the more I am convinced to that I have Welsummers :)

Since my friend said it was Marans, I just did not think of checking the other breeds yet.

Thx for helping out!

But when you look at the pics of the chicks that I posted, are they all girlies?
But why they have different shades in colour?

Yes they are Welsummers a beautiful breed that will lay beautiful dark eggs too
smile.png

Do Welsummers usually have those blue legs? I thought they had yellow legs. Couldn't that be a partridge Penedesenca? Couldn't that also account for the different colors of chicks? The hen doesn't have much white in the ear, but it looks like the roo does (but he has pink legs).

thx to all of you that posted :)

It was much interesting reading.

I live in Norway and have checked a bit more around here about the standard of Marans and the Welsummers here.
It seems that we only have cuckoo and BBR Marans here in Norway, so I am pretty sure that the birds I have is Welsummers.
But I am not sure if the rooster is 100 % pure breed though. He has pale legs, and his bodytype is a bit different, and he has a bit
white on his earlobes. I even think his comb is too big? Or ....?

And regarding the Marans here, we have both lines with and without feathed legs.

Back
Top Bottom