Is this scaly leg mites and scaly face?

And as far as his face, are those little red bumps normal?
They mite be just comb sprigs, but not being familiar with the bird, would be worth keeping an eye on and see if it is changing.

Yes, you have to make your own assessment on the SLM... to me it's about all the clues, not just a few dry scales. And when I took my suspect to the vet was told I did not have it. This is not the first time Shadrack has disagreed with me on this (or other subjects even). That's why we are here to share our experiences and learn from each other. Even when we have different opinions. :highfive:

I'm not sure about the red around his mouth. I can't see it super well, but it isn't what I would call normal. While some red can be peaking through the dark skin.. that looks like irritated feather follicles.

I prefer spray over dust as it's easier to get and keep ON the bird. But I would use the dust if I needed to. With the spray you make sure it hits the skin and just a small spritz with feathers parted below the vent, under each wing pit, and to the back of the head where it meets the neck since head lice will not travel to the body. Under $8, wetting a cotton swab if need to get closer to eyes and for chicks. Comes in many brand names and different concentrations. Not considered effective against SLM.
TE006407

Yes, have your hubs do a door for you asap. :thumbsup

It's important to note that IF it is SLM and you do successfully treat it, the scales may not change in appearance until they are shed off and replaced with new ones.

They mite be just comb sprigs, but not being familiar with the bird, would be worth keeping an eye on and see if it is changing.

Yes, you have to make your own assessment on the SLM... to me it's about all the clues, not just a few dry scales. And when I took my suspect to the vet was told I did not have it. This is not the first time Shadrack has disagreed with me on this (or other subjects even). That's why we are here to share our experiences and learn from each other. Even when we have different opinions. :highfive:

I'm not sure about the red around his mouth. I can't see it super well, but it isn't what I would call normal. While some red can be peaking through the dark skin.. that looks like irritated feather follicles.

I prefer spray over dust as it's easier to get and keep ON the bird. But I would use the dust if I needed to. With the spray you make sure it hits the skin and just a small spritz with feathers parted below the vent, under each wing pit, and to the back of the head where it meets the neck since head lice will not travel to the body. Under $8, wetting a cotton swab if need to get closer to eyes and for chicks. Comes in many brand names and different concentrations. Not considered effective against SLM.
TE006407

Yes, have your hubs do a door for you asap. :thumbsup

It's important to note that IF it is SLM and you do successfully treat it, the scales may not change in appearance until they are shed off and replaced with new ones.
Can't argue with that.:)

Agree on the idea of cutting in a door - they are SO much easier to catch/deal with at night. Aside from vaseline, Beekissed who used to be on this forum swore by coating the legs with castor oil to smother leg mites. it is however very sticky - which helps it stay on the chicken but means some washing to get it off your hands. Beekissed also had a great thread about dealing with inherited chickens with mites and other problems - dusting with wood ash taken from a fireplace or fire pit was her favored approach. Here is that thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ice-mites-scale-mites-worms-anemia-gl.709707/.

She is a "natural" chicken-keeper, so these approaches may be different from what you might see elsewhere.

Also, I have one hen with a few leg feathers, and it can be hard to tell the difference between leg mite effects or the way the parts of her leg raise up because of the feather follicle. regarding your other pics, I don't know silkies - you may want to go to the breeds section and see if you can find a good silkies thread. This one has lots of pics - you can see if they look like yours or if those red spots on the face are NOT normal:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/silkie-lovers-show-off-your-fuzzy-chickens-here.1316125/

Thank you all sooo much!!! I appreciate every single reply!!! That’s a really good idea!!! I should apply something for leg mites while I have them caught just to be safe. And I’m definitely going to have my husband put in a door that way I can do it at night. @All Ball thank you so much for the links! I am definitely going to sit down and read them when my kiddos are in bed tonight.

I have been treating 19 hens daily with a Vaseline and Sulfur Ointment. I made myself a seat out of a bucket turned upside down. I managed to get all the hens in the coop and close the door. I would get a hen put the ointment on and put her in the run. Not the easiest job, but easier than trying to get them from a bigger area. Hope this helps.

I have been treating 19 hens daily with a Vaseline and Sulfur Ointment. I made myself a seat out of a bucket turned upside down. I managed to get all the hens in the coop and close the door. I would get a hen put the ointment on and put her in the run. Not the easiest job, but easier than trying to get them from a bigger area. Hope this helps.
Thank you soo much!!! That’s what I’m planning on doing too. Close the run door, let them come out of the coop and then turn them out one by one when I’m done treating. I just ordered some permethrin spray that should be here in the next few days. I want to make sure I spray down cook and run around the same time as treating. I also have to treat for lice and mites. Do you know if I can use the permethrin spray on the chickens also? Or just the coop and run and use the poultry powder for the chickens? Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!

Thank you soo much!!! That’s what I’m planning on doing too. Close the run door, let them come out of the coop and then turn them out one by one when I’m done treating. I just ordered some permethrin spray that should be here in the next few days. I want to make sure I spray down cook and run around the same time as treating. I also have to treat for lice and mites. Do you know if I can use the permethrin spray on the chickens also? Or just the coop and run and use the poultry powder for the chickens? Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you!
See post 11 of this thread. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom