Is this serious?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by amandarey20, Jan 26, 2011.

1. amandarey20

amandarey20 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2010
    Texas
    Are Barred Roc's really sweet and friendly? I'm so worried I'm going to get mean hens.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  2. ThePigeonKid

ThePigeonKid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Ohio - Chickens 3yrs
    Mine are friendly. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  3. Heckel's Hens

Heckel's Hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Southern VA
    Love mine so far! [​IMG]

4. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Overrun With Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    I don't have one personally but the lady up the street does and she seems very sweet. Let's you walk right up to her. And when her master comes out to visit, she squats for her. So I would say, for sure.

5. greatergraceoffbg

greatergraceoffbg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2009
    They are very friendly! If you haven't had chickens before, be prepared for them to be curious, even as baby chicks they will peck your fingers when you feed them, but its not meanness or agression its just curiosity and it doesnt hurt at all. You will love them![​IMG]

6. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

I think BRs are wonderful chickens. My hens were dominant but not mean and good layers. The best roo we've ever, ever had was a BIG BR boy. Kids loved him.

7. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Hens don't tend to be mean. They can be too curious or slightly aggressive, but aggressiveness can usually be cured.

Don't worry about it too much. [​IMG]

8. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    I have 4 br hens and they arent mean--well except for Mean Marge and she is mean to the other hens from time to time. Hence her name. However, I will say my rocks are a very inquisitive bunch who have to investigate everything! Marge is chatty and feels the need to supervise, direct and inform me of everything going on in the world. Nellie just likes to run to me to tell on the others and Flo loves to sit on my knee and be stroked and fed treats. Mean Marge and Nellie have learned to hunt frogs under all the rocks in my yard. I do correct Marge when I see her being mean to the other hens and she always submits to me when I am outside. You will find as babies the rocks are very curious and will often peck at whatever you have in your hands. They also are hilarious to watch! You will get some very nice brown eggs when they lay. Enjoy them![​IMG] This is Mean Marge. Isnt she a hoot? She even looks mean in this pic!

9. Mark & Nique

Mark & Nique Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    South Carolina
    Ours is a sweetheart! If you're sitting in a nearby chair, she'll flap up and sit on your lap. If you squat down to check on the water or food, she'll flap up and perch on your shoulder. She is our favorite!

10. kannna

kannna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2010
    Martha's Vineyard
    Ginger (our BR) is not mean. She is the boss. But she's not mean. Now the neighbors RI Reds, they are mean and nasty to one another. Our SS Esther is the sweetest.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by