Is this set up ok?

Watch the temperature in that tub.. have a place they can self regulate body temp by moving to a cooler spot when needed..
Yes, the other side of it is cooler and they can get away from the heat. It is probably 40-45 degrees in the garage right now, but goes up to 50-55 in the day. I can see about putting a thermometer in there. All day they are happy and running around but at night they huddle like this. They aren't cheeping though so they don't sound stressed out.

So I do have three or four with pasty butt some I treated yesterday and they no longer seem to have it but three did today. One of those three was a SF that I picked up yesterday because I couldn't resist four more chicks so I think Sunday we will move them to the dog cage brooder so they'll have more room and I can give them a bigger feeder.

I am guessing by then they will be about a week old just under if they arrived at the feed store on Wednesday I suspect they hatched on Monday.

They look cold to me but are they just sleeping? They don't huddle like this during the day... But our temps drop 20-30 degrees at night so my garage drops by about 10 degrees.
Chicks huddle to sleep, so if they're all sleeping like that that's not an indicator of too hot/cold.

Thermometer would be good. If you're seeing a lot of pasty butt it's possible that they're getting too much heat, even though the air temperature in the garage is cooler.

Chicks huddle to sleep, so if they're all sleeping like that that's not an indicator of too hot/cold.

Thermometer would be good. If you're seeing a lot of pasty butt it's possible that they're getting too much heat, even though the air temperature in the garage is cooler.

So it's primarily too much heat? I had read stress from either too cold/too hot/ too crowded/too much handling/shipping. I figured all could apply but especially the shipping/handling piece. They arrived at store on Wednesday and Thursday, we purchased Wednesday/Thursday, and my kids pet them constantly.... They aren't allowed to pick them up but they pet them for sure. I'll monitor it :) it's only a 125w lamp. I've never used a thermometer in the past, just judged how the chicks acted but they had more room. I always used 100gal stock tanks as brooders.

Only one had pasty butt this morning and they are all huddled under the light so I suspect they aren't too hot yet.

Need to find a way to raise my waterer more. They're getting sawdust all in it. It sits on a 3/4" dish to raise it up but now that isn't high enough :(

Got them in their new space. Hopefully they like it and it isn't too chilly. It's in my garage. They aren't peeping loudly so I'm guessing they're fine. 🤞😂 Lots of room in their new playground! PXL_20220402_204246743.jpg

Got them in their new space. Hopefully they like it and it isn't too chilly. It's in my garage. They aren't peeping loudly so I'm guessing they're fine. 🤞😂 Lots of room in their new playground!
This looks pretty good, heat is off to one side and a lot of space away from it so they can use it if they so choose.

Looks nice and spacious! Maybe get a brick or wood block to put the water on for some height? There will inevitably be shavings in it regardless! 😂
Yes we found a margarine tub sized container to stick under it. The next step will be a brick. I forgot about that!! I also put a big stick in there for them to hook on/off of for some entertainment. They seem super happy. Hopefully they're warm enough overnight! I wasn't planning on having this many 😳

Back
Top Bottom